Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

how do you know if your intitled to alimony?

I've been maried for six yrs, was sperated from my husband for a yr. he lived in one state i another. we decided we wanted to try and make things work. so i got rid of everything i owned to move to the state he was in. with the promise that he wanted to take care of me and i didn't have to worry about paying any bills. now that im here his whole tune has changed and things have been a mess for me since after a month of me being here. he keeps telling me to get out. he is a correctional officer and retired military. where is my income only consit of ssi ssd because of my illness. if some has a answer for me plz let me know that you

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • I believe it's after five years of marriage you are entitles to alimony

    Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • i don't think anyone should get alimony. if you're no longer with that person, for whatever reason, they shouldn't pay to support you or supplement your income. child support yes, but alimony, no.

    Answer by erinwhitt at 3:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • You do get alamony! My sis was married for 7 years and she gets alamony and child support.. plus he can't make you leave. 50/50 unless a judge says other wise. My sister went through almost the same thing he told her she would get evicted but when she contacted her attorney needless to say she is living in the house they lived in together with her kids ;)
    If i were you i would see about talking with an attorney asap!

    Answer by BobbieJo286 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • It depends on the state. The state I live in is a non-alimony state. its quite possible he just tricked you into moving from an alimony state to a non-alimony state. :(

    Answer by karamille at 3:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Depends on the state. Some states you have to be married for X amount of years and some states don't grant it. Plus you would need to be a SAHM mom for a certain amount of years in some states as well. Try googling it in your area, I'm sure you can find out your state requirements that way.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Depends on the state that you are living in and filing for divorce in. I was told after ten years the person that makes less should be vested (alimony). Check out your state laws.


    Answer by elly25 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • you are allowed 6 months for every year you were married...6 yrs. of marriage is 3 yrs of alimony

    Answer by togo90210 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • Most states don't have alimony or spousal support anymore. There is no fault divorce and child support and that's it. Find out online if your state had alimony or spousal support. If you have kids see a lawyer and he may have to pay your living expenses during the divorce process. You have to live in a state a certain amount of time before you can divorce, you can find that online. It could be a year or more. He could have had you move to a no alimony state and if you don't have kids you are just out of luck.

    I'm not sure what you mean by ssi ssd. I'm disabled and get just ssi, $675 a month. If you can figure out how to live on it then let me know. If you don't have kids the most anyone on ssi can get in food stamps is $10 a month. I've been on a section 8 waiting list for 2 years and it may be 4 more.


    Answer by Gailll at 3:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

  • You hire an attorney.

    Answer by tasches at 5:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.