Ughhh food poisoning??

So my son spent the night at my grandmother's last night. She isn't known for her common sense when it comes to food, but I've never been deathly ill after eating and I gave her pretty specific instructions about what my son could have over there. Basically, she doesn't put stuff away in the fridge, she's been known to leave something out all night, say, like meatballs, in a container in the oven and then reheat them the next day. the mayo jar will stay out for a few hours before it gets put away and beverages that say refridgerate after opening never end up in the fridge. Well, we picked him up a few hours ago and he was fine but now he has TERRIBLE diarrhea. He doesn't seem fussy and he's drinking water and i'm trying to get him to eat some pretzels or crackers but no luck...when should I take him to the doctors? they're not open today...should i go to the ER? The poor kid.

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 3:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would say just keep giving him water and pedialyte if he will drink that. you can give him probiotic to get his gi tract back to normal faster. i wouldn't really say it was food poisioning though...... i am pretty sure that you get sick 45 min. or a hour after eating if that's the case and from your question it sounds like it was longer ago than that (usually you vomit alot too). he'll be fine and like i said try the probiotic... my pediatrician reccommended it for our son who has bowel issues and it's really helped him alot. i like the culturelle.... just open the capsule and dissolve it in whatever he's drinking. gl and hope he gets better in a hurry
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• If he still has diarrhea tomorrow, I would take him in. As long as he is drinking and doesn't have it longer than 24 hours, he should be ok. Poor little guy. Hope he feels better soon.

JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2010