What would you do to punish your two young children for kickng the family dog?

I am horrified! I heard my kids laughing, and I thought they were playing together... But then I heard our dog bark (she hardly ever barks). So I said "what are you two doing in there?" They didn't answer and I heard another bark, so I went to see what they were up to. Our little Japanese Chin, Allie, came running down the hall. So I asked again"what are you doing?" and my 2 yr old said "kicking Allie". I was so mad! I told them how wrong that was, and how much it hurt our pet, then I spanked them both, and sent them to bed. When they started giggling after I left the room, I came back in and said "I must not have done enough!" So I've taken their toys. I hope I got through to them.... What woud you have done?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 3:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think taking away the family pet is a fitting punishment. Sometimes kids do really stupid things because they don't get it. If Allie never barked, and kicking her caused her to, of course they're going to do it. So keep the dog with you or put up some gates where she is confined to certain areas. Put up little signs that say its Allie's territory (Dog x-ing signs, you can get them at any home improvement store) and if you catch them in those areas without and adult they'll lose a favorite activity-and make it a different activity each time. Sometimes, if you take something away a few times, kids just learn to deal with it. But sending the dog away isn't the answer, it doesn't sound like your kids are sociopaths in the making, just some kids who got bored and figured out how to make the dog make funny sounds.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 5:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• SAME THING U DID!!!!! MAKE IT STICK,DON'T LET THEM OUT!!!! PUT THEM TO BED EARLY TOO!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yes they need to learn right from wrong. They should earn there toys back one by one. Keep strong and follow what you are doing.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would take the dog to someone's house for a few days and tell them you are taking him where people will treat her nice.

Hopefully, they will miss her and never hurt her again.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• what you did ... and

I absolutely would not punish the dog (by crating) for the misbehavior of the children. I would consider finding the dog a good and loving home, and making sure the children understood that the dog was leaving due to their bad behavior.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• If you were yelling then they got an awesome reaction. It's funny to see mom mad. I would have calmly sat them down and say ' it hurts allie to be kicked and that's why she barked. They don't like ot be kicked right? Why not? Because it hurts. If I ever see either one of you hurting another animal or person like that then you will not be allowed to (insert favorite activity here) for the rest of the day. Do you understand? What is going to happen if you hurt Allie again?'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'd also make sure they are not allowed around the dog on their own. Even if it means keeping the poor animal in a crate or them secured in another room. Maybe even having a friend or family member take the dog for a month or so.

Answer by Bmat at 4:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i would have done the same thing you did and i would tell them they are hurting the dog and i would ask them if they want you to get rid of the dog and i would tell them if they kick her again she will have to go to another home where people will be nice to her
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i would probably pull their pants down and spank them
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think you did the exact thing i would have done...kicking dogs is not acceptable... in our household, our dogs are part of the family and help us out on the ranch, we are all a team, and i've been teaching my son the same thing
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2010