Why is my 5 month old son sleeping SO much today?

He went to bed at 9 last night and woke up at 1 for a quick minute feeding and a diaper change (which he slept through the diaper change) went right back to sleep so I rocked him and he burped and then he slept until 6AM and I fed him and went down stairs with him because he usually wants to play but he looked tired still so I went back upstairs and layed down with him he fell back to sleep until 9, woke up and ate/diaper change...stayed up for an hour went back to sleep until 11:30....woke up, and stayed up for about half hour and then went back to sleep and now it's 2 and he's still sleeping!
he already has two teeth on the bottom..
Why is he sleeping SOO much?
he isn't sick, his temp is fine.
Has your baby done this? am I going to have to pay for this tonight?

JanetCG

Asked by JanetCG at 5:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be a growth spurt, because of his teeth coming in or he has some kind of bug coming.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• our son slept a lot when it was really gloomy outside, when he was sick, and when he was going through a growth spurt
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yeah well today it's rainy and dark! :O I was thinking maybe thats why is he sleeping so much..it's cold out and windy and rainy...
    JanetCG

Comment by JanetCG (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• prob. a growth spurt ... has he been eating more than usual lately too? Babies (and older kids too) tend to do this off and on (my almost 7 yr. old STILL does the super eating/sleeping cycle -- its my heads up to start saving up for clothes again - LOL)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• he could also be coming down with something...he might not have any symptoms we can see or notice. My daughter would sleep like that and within a few days show symptoms. Or like the others said, growth spurt. Sleep actually helps babies grow.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Always follow their cues- if he's acting tired, let him sleep. Like everyone is saying could be growing, teething soon, fighting off a bug- My one yr old has been acting weird too, but at the same time my 6 month old was up at 6:30 yesterday which is normal- we all start early around here, but she was wide awake and playing and cheerful all day! Finally around 2 I fed her and laid her down just to see if she'd nap and sure enough she fell asleep! Today, she's already taken two naps! LOL Just follow their cues, can't go wrong with that. And always check for a fever , or cold sweats when they wake up. That's a sure sign for a bug or teething. :) Good Luck!
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• my son did that when he went through a growth spurt. he would sleep from 7 or 8 at night til 11 the next morning. he could be teething or just really tired. maybe he's going through a growth spurt. you said he looked really tired so he probably is just sleepy.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2010