Religous music at work.

I work at a trucking company fueling trucks and spotting trailers on the grocery dock. I've been at my job for over 10 years and really enjoy the work. (Plus the pay is excellent :) My problem is the music I listen to when I'm fueling is Christian rock. Since I'm the one that stays on the fuel Island fueling I feel that I should be able to choose what plays on the radio. Any thoughts?

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 5:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• i would ask if there can be a compromise met. Maybe nobody really cares and thats just where it gets left or maybe there can be a rotation made up or something. I was always grateful to have ANY music when i was working i really didn't care EXCEPT during the holiday season at wal-mart because they played HORRIBLE claymation christmas music and it was like the same 6 songs on repeat for 6 weeks. They totally ruined those claymation specials for me LOL
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Who is picking the music? Maybe you can talk to someone about rotating and/or picking?
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• If you are the ONLY one there, I don't see an issue. However, if you are not the only one there, I would either talk to the others there and see if they are okay with it or simply pick something a little more widely acceptable. Generally I would say keep your religious beliefs OUT of work simply because something tells me you would want others to have that same general respect for you. As a Pagan I would not think it okay to listen to Pagan Radio while at work, simply out of respect for others, not because I think there is anything wrong with the music...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Sabrina Makes a great point!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My problem is any time one of my co-workers comes to "help" He'll stay for maybe 10 mins change the station and then find an excuse to leave. Fueling I guess is low on the job food chain. Even though I've been there longer and make more than he does. I'm really secure in my job no matter what I'm doing. Would just like to know what to say to Him with out causing issues. I work with all men but I've been on the job the longest. Men can be such cry babies LOL
    CKasting

Comment by CKasting (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• eh... just change it back when he leaves
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would be offended by Christian music. I don't think they should force that on you. Tell them that the music is making you uncomfortable?
    FateoftheGodz

Answer by FateoftheGodz at 6:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• yeah just change it back lol, maybe you could say point blank if they say something about it "I really dont care for that kind of music"
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would just change it back. Or bring my iPod and hook it up to the stereo and then he can't change it. I wouldn't listen to anything offensive. A light rock station or something like that.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• As an HR Director I would advise you to stay away from any religious activity in the workplace. It is just setting yourself and your employer up for a potential lawsuit.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:51 AM on Sep. 7, 2010