How do I tell her without breaking her heart?

My 7 year old has been busy making "frames" (she takes a piece of paper and paints a border around it with her watercolors). She just told me she wants to sell them as a way to earn money for her to buy new toys for herself. The thing is, she wants to sell them for $2 each and wants her dad to build her a roadside stand and take it down to the middle of town so she can sell them on the sidewalk. That's just not going to happen. She's really excited about it and I don't know how to tell her that even if we went and tried to sell them, she would be lucky to sell just one if some kind person came along. I have offered to buy them myself but she says she will only sell them to kids. So, what would you do if she were your daughter? Or am I just a bad, mean mom for not helping her set up a stand and sell them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her it's illegal to sell things withour a permit. LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• samurai_chica - that is exaclty what I was going to say! Make the govenment the bad guy!! LOL
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 5:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Maybe you could have her do a food drive...and if they donate a can of food they could make frames with the artist themselves, lol. You could explain, since the holidays are coming up, that if you guys do a food drive, she can donate the cans and GIVE to people and that feels just as good as getting a new toy. I don't know, do you need permits to collect cans and donate them?

Good for her for wanting to earn money, though. i wish half my neighbors had the same ambition as her!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 5:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Be honest. Tell the truth. They're very nice frames, you may give them as gifts (and then you, Mom, can add photos to the frames) and she may give them to grandma and grandpa, aunts and uncles, for the holidays.
    Other people want frames that are made by their own children, not by you. And other children like to make their own frames. So no, we're not going to do that.

(too young to go into all the legalities and the fact that to run a business you have to have money to invest for materials and retail space and permits and such)
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 5:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i wouldn't let her do it in the middle of town. maybe you can enroll her in an art craft fair of some sort. but don't tell her that it might be a silly idea. let her be free and creative! :-)
    maybe you can get her to make them for kids in the hospital who are ill....
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Kids might just would buy them.
    Set her up a stand in your yard and let her try her luck. I used to sell ugly paper dolls when I was a kid and kids actually bought them.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I agree. Not in the middle of town. but maybe in the front yard. Along with some lemonade and maybe some brownies.

If you go off your own property you do run the risk of legal issues.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Tell her about the peddling permit problem, also be frank with her that there isn't a market for them.

Answer by Bmat at 6:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Maybe teach her how to make new and more exciting frames out of things like popsickle sticks, etc. Then ask her if she would like to sell them to family? I know for a fact grandma's and grandpa's will buy that stuff! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 6:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son is six and always trying to make a buck. We live in a condo, so we have plenty of poor, unsuspecting neighbors for him to prey on. A couple months ago he set up a Kool-aide stand, and sold each cup for a dollar. The next day he made cookies, to sell with his Kool-aide. He made close to $10 bucks.

Yesterday he wanted to put on a concert, and made a sign to hang outside that it was only $1 to come in and hear him play the piano. (He has never taken lessons, but thinks he is really good with out them.) No one came by, but I would have let them in to watch if they wanted.

Today he is making his own storybooks, to sell for $1. I'm not sure where/when he is planning on selling them, but I'm sure it will involve our neighbors. Mostly they think he's cute, and so far no one has complained. I had to draw the line when he tried to go door to door, on his own. I explained it's just not safe.

He's my little entrepreneur!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010