the bank gave me a fake $50..what should I do?

BBVA Compass gave me a fake $50. I didn't k now until I went to the store and tried to buy food and they said that the bill was fake and they couldn't take it. What should I do? will the bank take it back...I'm really pissed...anyone had this happen

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• i say you should take it back to the bankand telll them you got it from there but you didnt knwo it was fake until you tried using it in the store and they told you it was fake
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• they gave it back to you? i thought if a store came across counterfeit money they were suposed to call the cops and not give it back
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would not give something you know is counterfeit to another person or store. For one thing you are committing a crime, for another, it just isn't honorable. You could take it to the police if you don't want to try the bank. You may be out the $50, but at least you have your dignity and honor.

Answer by Bmat at 7:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I find it strange that the bank didn't catch the fake, but a cashier did. I don't think you can really do anything about. the bank will take it. You are out $50.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I had a bank give me a fake 20 once. I was S**t out of luck. Only if I questioned it at the window would they have done anything. Now I rarely take cash at the ATM, and anything over a 20..I test with my own pen. You can buy them at office max. Does the bank think I'm nuts?..Probably, but they won't ever get away with giving me a gfake bill again.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would report it to the bank. I wouldn't expect to get a real $50 bill back, but I would definitely let the bank managers know that someone in their bank is handing out fake money.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It is very very unlikely that a bank teller gave you a counterfeit bill. Tellers deal with money all day and are not likely to miss a fake bill that a grocery store clerk would catch. I guess it could happen but not likely. Needless to say, DO not try to pass the bill. That is illegal. By all means take the bill back to the bank. Maybe the grocery store clerk was wrong and it is a good bill. Talk to the bank manager. Have details like what teller gave it to you, etc... Be calm and direct. Of course they have to turn the bill in to the FBI if it is counterfeit. But maybe they will reimburse you. Who knows? You have no other option. Gee I can't believe people are advising you to spend it. So wrong!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 11:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Take it back to the bank for sure.

Answer by Bmat at 6:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think you'll have a hard time getting the bank to take it back. But it's $50- that's at least worth talking to the bank about it. I'm so sorry that happened to you :(
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My husband is a personal banker but he started as a teller... I know for a fact they will destroy it and you lost $50
    FateoftheGodz

Answer by FateoftheGodz at 6:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2010