Why do some moms here feel so threatened by high c-section rates?

I don't get why some people get so up in arms against it and tell others that they shouldn't have the right to choose a c-section. Why be so concerned if someone you don't even know is having a c-section? Are they afraid that their Dr. will make them have a c-section or something ridiculous like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I was scared with my 1st pregnancy of having one bc it sounded scary. Then during L+D I was begging to have one!!
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think everyone feels very strongly about their own opinions. You can replace the topic of C-section w/ Breast vs Formula or Cry it out vs co-sleeping and get much the same reaction. This is the internet and we are very outspoken here. But actually, if things don't progress quickly enough, the Dr can insist on a C-section and its quite common and for most women, we have an ideal way we'd like to go through child birth and it doesn't usually include surgery. I found out that administering an epidural too early can cause the baby not to descend into the birth canal. That happened to me and I ended up w/ a C-section. I'm not mad about it. My kids were born healthy and happy and that is what matters.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm not threatened by high c/s rates on a personal level, but I do feel that we as women need to be more educated about the risks involved with what is a major abdominal surgery and about the labour and birthing process in general. I've had a c/s, it's what was best for me and my baby, but I would not recommend one to a woman strictly for convenience. Yes, sometimes they are medically necessary, but in many - if not most - cases they aren't and that's where the problem lies.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I dont know, I have always wondered the same thing. Im glad people have concerns about others and about our society but heavens they take it to the extreme.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• to me its a personal choice, and don't really get why people act like this
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I WAS SO SCARED I THREW UP when they told me sorry your 6lb baby just wont fit through your pelvis. I pushed for THREE hours before they forced me to have one. My kid had a serious cone head. I will have to get another one for my next delivery as well. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I wish I would have never had one.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 7:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think it's silly.. but that's just my opinion... I had severe issues with my pregnancy and "required" an emergency c-section... you never know what kind of delivery you are going to require---the most impt thing is your child, not 'how' they were delivered...
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 7:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I had 3 of them. They wouldn't let me go into labor. They aren't that bad. My boys were all born healthy. They are now 26, 23, and 15. I recovered with no health issues. I don't understand the problem. If you, your husband, and your dr. decide it is the best way to deliver your children, then what is the problem?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• A C-section saved my baby boy's life. Some people feel there are no valid reasons for one, though, that the majority of them are unecessary and forced on us by nefarious men intent on slicing and dicing. If that's the way they feel, fine. I only have a problem when a person with NO MEDICAL TRAINING feels like they know what is best for me. Those are the ones that go in one ear (eye on CM? lol) and out the other.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm a firm believer in C-sections. My son was too big and I found out after 14 hours of hard labor that I had to have a c-section quick. My section was scheduled with my daughter but it wouldn't have mattered because she was breach. As long as our children are healthy I am happy. Those people who rag on the women who choose VBAC need to hush up. Unless you have been in that situation you shouldn't comment.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 7:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010