What do you think of Stigmata?

For those who don't know what stigmata is, it is when people show the signs of the crucifiction. It can range for simple holes in their hands to the holes in the hands, scratchs on the forehead (from the "crown), and even puncture wounds in their sides. Some people believe that this can only happen to people who truely understand the sacrifice that Jesus made while on the cross, while others feel that it is just a manifestation of a persons psychological problems. So, what do you think?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I am skeptical at best. Though I lean towards a manifestation of their psyche. I don't totally dismiss the other option, but it would be difficult to prove.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I've researched this as well, although it's been a few years. I find it wonderfully fascinating. Looking at the people who have experienced this phenomenon and their life styles prior to and after their experiences I tend to believe that it's a mind over matter type of thing. However, I will be the first to say this isn't the answer which fits ALL cases, but I have yet to come up with a theory which answers each occurrence. The people who are experiencing these things tend to be men and women of great faith, those who not only believe, but who have a strong connection with their beliefs. I believe that their convictions tend to be so great and their love for their "savior" to be so strong that they develop "sympathy" wounds.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• There have been documented cases where men have developed breasts and even a belly while their wives were pregnant because of their love and connection to their wife. This too, is a very very rare occurrence, however, it is one that is medically documented and that has been proven to be a purely physical sympathetic change due to the person's brain chemistry and hormone fluctuation due to emotion... I am inclined to believe that Stigmatic occurrences are this same type of experience, but instead of developing bellies and breasts they are developing wounds because of a vast connection and sympathetic reaction to their love of Jesus and the actions he took out of a perceived love for them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm skeptical because there are many hoaxes, but I still don't rule out the possibility that some have actually experienced it through the ages.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have only seen it on TV and read just a bit on it-either way-its pretty amazing- I would be just as amazed to find out that our minds can do this to our bodies as I would be to find out it was divine.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Some stigmatics aren't even christian. It is the manifestation of a psychoses, obviously. The hysterical mind is a powerful thing.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think the power of the human mind is.... well, mind blowing, heh. I don't think it is anything divine, though.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010