I had my flu shot, how could i have a cold?? what can i take for my cold??

im 23 weeks pregnant and feel horrible!

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 7:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Health

• I am sorry that you are sick. I hope you feel better soon. Flu shots don't work against colds, at least this is my understanding. Fluids, rest, vitamin C (although this is controversial) Echinacea (also controversial.)

Answer by Bmat at 7:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Benadry is fine and so is regular mucinex. I think sudifed is too, but double check with your doc on that one.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• And oh yes. The flu shot does not protect against colds. Just influenza. And good for you on getting it. I lost my first pregnancy at 16wks because of influenza. Babies generally do not survive 105 fevers. :( Also the closer you are to your due date when you contract influenza, the greater the risk your child is at developing schizophenia later in life.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Different causes.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• This is copied and pasted from wiki answers

Does the flu shot prevent really bad colds?
    In: Conditions and Diseases, Cold and Flu, Infectious Diseases, Vaccinations, H1N1 Pandemic Swine Flu [Edit categories]
    [Improve]
    No, the virus that causes a common cold is different than the virus that causes influenza. However, for some people, the symptoms for some types of flu are very similar to the symptoms of a really bad cold, but the vaccine just doesn't work to provide immunity for colds. There currenlty is no vaccine for colds.

Answer by Bmat at 7:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• The flu shot only protects against the flu, and then only for the particular strain it was designed for, so technically you can still come down with a flu if you are exposed to a strain that wasn't predicted.

For a cold, I've always just done bed rest, tea and chicken soup. I would check with your doctor before taking anything else, just to be safe.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I had the flu when I was pregnant and I had the flu shot... it only protects you from one specific strain... Call your doctor before you take ANY medicine... I ended up only being able to take tylenol and believe me I was miserable.. but I made it through and so can you... drink lots of fluids too...
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 7:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Flu shots don't cover cold bugs.Have to treat the cold symptomatically.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 7:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2010