I had my flu shot, how could i have a cold?? what can i take for my cold??

im 23 weeks pregnant and feel horrible!

Asked by mauricellaf at 7:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Health

• I am sorry that you are sick. I hope you feel better soon. Flu shots don't work against colds, at least this is my understanding. Fluids, rest, vitamin C (although this is controversial) Echinacea (also controversial.)

Answer by Bmat at 7:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Benadry is fine and so is regular mucinex. I think sudifed is too, but double check with your doc on that one.

Answer by karamille at 7:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• And oh yes. The flu shot does not protect against colds. Just influenza. And good for you on getting it. I lost my first pregnancy at 16wks because of influenza. Babies generally do not survive 105 fevers. :( Also the closer you are to your due date when you contract influenza, the greater the risk your child is at developing schizophenia later in life.

Answer by karamille at 7:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Different causes.

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• This is copied and pasted from wiki answers

Does the flu shot prevent really bad colds?
    In: Conditions and Diseases, Cold and Flu, Infectious Diseases, Vaccinations, H1N1 Pandemic Swine Flu [Edit categories]
    No, the virus that causes a common cold is different than the virus that causes influenza. However, for some people, the symptoms for some types of flu are very similar to the symptoms of a really bad cold, but the vaccine just doesn't work to provide immunity for colds. There currenlty is no vaccine for colds.

Answer by Bmat at 7:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• The flu shot only protects against the flu, and then only for the particular strain it was designed for, so technically you can still come down with a flu if you are exposed to a strain that wasn't predicted.

For a cold, I've always just done bed rest, tea and chicken soup. I would check with your doctor before taking anything else, just to be safe.

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I had the flu when I was pregnant and I had the flu shot... it only protects you from one specific strain... Call your doctor before you take ANY medicine... I ended up only being able to take tylenol and believe me I was miserable.. but I made it through and so can you... drink lots of fluids too...

Answer by momofonelilguy at 7:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Flu shots don't cover cold bugs.Have to treat the cold symptomatically.

Answer by Nindy at 7:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2010