Would this be bad?

I don't know too many of my son's friends parents, especially not well enough to ask one of them if he could have a ride. But my hubby will be traveling, and we put our younger child to bed rather early (7pm), and my oldest has to go to a night practice/meeting for Performing Arts (from 7-9 pm).

He can't skip it because it's mandatory, (and he'd be bummed if he had to miss). I hate the thought of waking my youngest to go pick him up, so i was thinking of emailing one of the moms who lives about 5 min. from us, to ask her for a ride that night. (And I'd offer to return the favor.)

I dont' know the mom (never met her), but I trust her (she actually knows a friend of mine). Anyway, do you think that would be weird to ask her? If not, should I call or email? (I feel weird calling!)

thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Do either one because I am sure she will appreciate the offer to help her as she will help you. My daughter is in the same boat and if it wasn't for reaching out to other parents, we wouldn't be able to do much but drive back and forth to her school.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• does he have a friend that is in the program with him? maybe go home with that kid after school (or stay the night if it's the weekend) and just ask if they can bring him home.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• it's not weird tell her the situation. and even if you didn't tell her the situation, it's not weird.
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 8:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• "does he have a friend that is in the program with him? maybe go home with that kid after school (or stay the night if it's the weekend) and just ask if they can bring him home."

Yes, that is the mom who I'm asking about (her son is in PA with my son). It's on a Tues. night and I can take my son (no problem to put our little one to be a little late), it'd just be nice to have him get a ride home.

Also, thanks manna1qd! (I was afraid someone would reply with something like, "how can you let your son go with someone you don't know!"  But this kid is a nice kid and they had a "pasta party" at their house for the kids in Cross-Country, which my son was also in.

Anonymous

• You could email her or even call her. I don't think that would be weird. I'm sure she wouldn't mind giving your son a ride, especially when you offer to do the same for her sometime. This may even lead to a friendship, or at the least a person you can occasionally call on for rides, and she can do the same to you. Sounds like a great idea to me.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would probably make the phone call. Its a little more personal and I would feel more comfortable if I actually spoke with her. If you decide to email, offer your phone number so she can call if she wishes or if there is a last minute problem.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I would call her and discuss it with her.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• maybe other moms want to get to know more moms too. You could be the organizer of a good pool system. Go for it! The kids need you

Answer by admckenzie at 1:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• why not just let your son make the arrangements with his friends?
    barbar73069

Answer by barbar73069 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I also hate calling people, I always feel weird about it, but I think in this case, I would definitely call her. When you email, you have to assume that she checks it on a regular basis, and when you don't hear from her in time for your son's practice/meeting it may put you in a bind. I don't think it's bad to ask her since your son is friends with her child & your friend knows her. Another idea might be if you see her in person maybe picking up your son from school running it by her in person so that you have the opportunity to say hello & introduce yourself in person. This will also lead to the possibility that your son can get a play date or a sleepover at some point if he is friends with her child.
    muddyna

Answer by muddyna at 2:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008