Is Morphine a little over the top for regualar endometriosis treatment?

I have been given other things, but straight morphine, on a regular basis? I 'm concerned because someone close to me claims she takes it every day for endometrosis. I had it in the ER but at home? I'm thinking she's hooked on it, and it's not about the pain. I have had it(endo), and I know others who have it too. Never heard of this. I have heard of vicodin, percocet, naprosin, etc, but never actual straight pure morphine. Is that leagal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Health

• Yes it's legal, and depending on the severity of her case it's not totally uncommon. While it's not normally the first choice, chances are she has been through all the weaker medications and morphine is all that's left. My mother has endo, and now that she is uninsured she can't get the surgery that will properly deal with the issue, and she is generally in great pain from it. However, she isn't able to afford the medication either... So I don't know what she would be on either... But I have known others who were on Morphine at home for other conditions, at one point I was prescribed it because of a hip condition... It's not completely unheard of, or unusual.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My sister got morphine for it but only when the pain was so extreme that nothing else worked, its unusual but it is done sometimes. My sister didnt take it daily though, only on days when the pain was really bad
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Humm IDK.. I have some in my fridge and I rarely use it unless my back really acts up.. I think it depends on the dose.. I barely can even tell I've taken any.. the only way I'll know is my back stops hurting. I can't even see how/why people like it so much.. not like a good buzz or anything.. that or I'm just not taking enough. HA HA HA.. not that I would... but it makes me wonder..
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 8:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• first off all even if you have suffered some endo pain it doesnt mean you have a CLUE what she is going through. a Dr woudl not have given her morphine unless they truly felt she was in THAT MUCH PAIN. I woudl say STOP JUDGING her. You are not her Dr and I this makes you sound like one right crappy friend.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Pain is subjective. Always remember that. Her pain threshold may be that where she needs morphine.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2010