My Granddaughter is 3 weeks old and she gets hiccups 3 or 4 times a day, is this normal? Why would she get them so much and how can we stop her from getting them?

Pandalynn2001

Asked by Pandalynn2001 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD's did that. I was told it was normal.

Answer by louise2 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Babies get hiccups a lot, it's pretty common.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 8:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It's normal. My youngest got hiccups a lot. The doctor said it was normal.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It's perfectly normal and there's nothing you can do to prevent them. It's just her digestive system learning the ropes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Not sure about babies, but I take a shot (or little drink) of Worchestshire. It does work. Good luck. Not sure if it's normal or not, neither of my kids had that problem til they got a little older.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 8:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yep. I don't know why they get them or how to avoid them, but my son got them all the time - in my belly and out! My son on the way gets the hiccups at least 2 times a day.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son got them a lot the first few months. I don't really think theres too much you can do to prevent it but i did notice that when I started doing tummy time more he wasn't getting them as often.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 8:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My DD had them when she was in my belly all the time. When she was born she still had them all the time. I got gripe water and it worked really well and took them right away. My DD also had baby acid reflex so keep an eye on it and maybe if they get worse talk to the doctor about it. Other then all of that it is normal and they don't bother the baby one bit they are more bothering to grandparents and parents.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yep totally normal. Nothing you can really do.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• she is taking a lot of air in probably you can try burping her more often throughout her feedings
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2010