My son is 3.5 years old. When ever he gets excited he flaps his hands up and down like a bird. He also does this while watching fans turn, wheels, or anything that spins. Is this normal? Or something I should be concerned about for the future?

I have noticed this since he was just a few months old. Then it was just the movements of his fingers and little leg movement. Now he is really consistant with flapping his arms/hands fast. When he is sitting playing cars on the floor he kicks his legs along with his arms up and down.

Asked by mommystar77 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Kids' Health

• these are some signs of the autism spectrum. take hime to a developmental specialist to have him checked.

• I really hate to alarm you but being a parent of an autistic child these are a few classic signs, please have him tested as soon as you can. The sooner that he is able to get therapy the better for you both, and don't worry, autistic children can lead a perfectly happy life, in fact they are happy most of the time.

Answer by wondermommy5 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I agree with everyone else. I woul deffiently have it checked out. It doesn't mean that he is deffiently autistic but it is deffiently a sign of autism. I wouls talk to his peditrician an see what she recmmends. Good luck!!

Answer by redtang912 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• or MAYBE it's just something he picked up... like a habit? Yes, flapping arms can SOMETIMES be a sign of autism, but a LOT of kids do it when they're just excited. Maybe it's something he saw one of his cartoon characters doing? Does he show any other "strange" signs that would make you think he's autistic?

Answer by crazysocks830 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Have him tested but while you are waiting for the results, remember that many normal kids "flap" too. I always did when I was excited, still do a little bit.

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Does he make eye contact, speak to you? I would not rush to say he falls on the Autism spectrum, but he may. I'd be very concerned it he is not able to speak and does not make eye contact. Talk to his doctor.

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• After getting him tested by a neurologist and getting a diagnosis letter get him registered with your local state services. In St. Louis we have a regional center that the waiting list is long but once your up you get $1,500 a year for the life of your child to help out with therapies. Also some states have an agency that gives you respite (babysitting money) so that you can get out once and a while with your husband.

After all that I would recommend you start your son on Nordic Naturals Complete Omega 3-6-9 which is flavored Cod Liver Oil. You can find it at your local healthfood store. Could tell you more but maybe by email would be best. My email is Eileen

Answer by EileenMarie at 2:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Great advice everyone! We just moved down here to Florida, and don't have a family doctor yet. Seems alot of doctor's are not the ones I would like to take my son to. Especially about this situation. I guess my next check would be for a good Childrens Hospital and make an appointment.
    One question from one of the mom's was if he talks and looks me in the eyes. Yes, he does both of them. He speaks fluently, and is an all around smart little boy. Which autisum happens to make people smater?
    Only one other thing is that he was 19 months when he started walking. Although an Orthopedic Ped told me he's fine. That his ligaments didn't develop fast enough. Which made him have a hard time walking at first. He's just alittle pigeon toed right now.
    Again, thanks for the info. I'll call around to Children's Hospitals in the next week... and keep you all posted.

Answer by mommystar77 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• this could be normal my best friends son did this all the time until he was about 8. it was just a way he showed emotions. they grow out of it. and by the way most children who develope autism are alot younger when the symptoms start. i would not worry.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2008