What Is the Safe-Haven Law ?

I was reading the news part on the internet and some mother drove 12 hours to Nebraska to drop off her 13 year old son at some hospital and just left him there . It also mention something about this law and that it went to effect in July . I am just wandering what it is !!

katherine4

Asked by katherine4 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• Its basically allowing parents (no matter what the age of the child) to abandon the child in a "safe place" such as the baby moses law does
    paralegalmommy

Answer by paralegalmommy at 8:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• It just means that you can drop your baby at specified safe places, hospitals, fire stations ect. And criminal charges will not be brought against you. But I thought it only covered babies.
    yrulokin4me

Answer by yrulokin4me at 8:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• In most states it just covers babies, but now in Nebraska it doesn't matter how old they are. Just a few weeks ago, a man dumped off all 9 of his kids there, most of them are teenagers. I feel for these kids just getting dropped off like a pair of old shoes. It's one thing for a baby to be left in a safe haven area, because they aren't old enough to know what's going on, ( not that I necessarily agree with the safe haven laws) but for a child or a teenager, can you imagine how traumatic that must be?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I just recently found out this is not the law everywhere. I saw a stoty on the news about a mother in Seatle haveing charges against her for leaving her baby at a church... I thought it was a blanket law for all the states...

I think it should be! I think that the women who choose to abandon their babies have reasons and what ever they may be at least they didn't abort. They are still giving that baby a chance and leaving them somewhere safe is better than leaving them in the trash to die...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I just really feel sorry for the teenagers who get droped off . That is so insane ! I couldn't live with myself especially being bonded with for so long .
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Judging how some people chose to get rid of their kids, this seems like a good idea.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• This is not an answer to the question, but I heard about that guy who dropped off his 9 kids. And he kept one. wtf??? I just don't understand how you can do that!?!?! And they said he wasn't an addict, not that that would make it better, but understandable, and hs wife died and he just couldn't handle them. That's so sad! Poor kids!
    Anonymous

• I know a single mother that called the police to come get her son because she couldn't handle him. He thought he was too grown to listen to his mother. The police had to charge him with something to keep him. Under the Safe Haven law in Nebraska she could have just left him at the police station and he atleast wouldn't have a record.
    Babujai

Answer by Babujai at 11:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2008