what is the best way to help 1st grader with homework?

i worry that i get too involved. i need to find balance in helping. any great tips?

ilovemycrew5

Asked by ilovemycrew5 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I can't believe first graders have homework now days! Anyway I would just sit beside them and just answer any questions they have and explain to them how they get the answer or how to do the work. I wouldn't give them the answer, but make them find it themselves.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Be nearby and go over what needs to be done. Let the child start and leave her/him alone to do the work. Only help when he/she gets stuck or doesn't understand. They need to do the work so the repitition helps them learn it permanently. I used to love overseeing homework because I loved school so much. Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My daughter is in first grade as well. I ask her to complete her homework to the best of her ability by herself. She can ask questions if she needs to, but I make her do it on her own. Then, I sit down with her and go over each of the answers. Like for math, I ask her how she got that answer... like what she did. (Most of the problems, she just knows because she is very smart, but sometimes she'll say she used her fingers, or whatnot) For reading/spelling, I go through and ask her to re-read everything, then we go over things to make sure they are the correct answer. I just try to make sure she does everything herself. I don't mind helping her, but I refuse to do her homework for her.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• To make a space designated for study (her own desk or at the kitchen table are good)
    To have a specific time set aside for homework each day
    To review assignments quickly, to be sure she understands what needs to be done
    and to step back and let her take responsibility for completing her own work

When my children reached middle school, I eliminated the 3rd step - if they had a question, they took responsibility by seeking my help.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 8:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• The way I did it was I read the directions and even had my son repeat them in his words. I then leave and let him do the work on his own then I check it. If its wrong I do not give the answer but maybe explain it better or if its math often he just added or subtracted wrong. This year I have a kinder and 2nd grade both get homework.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When my son was in first I did supervise a bit and checked his work over before he took it to turn in.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Make sure the instructions are understood. Kid does the homework. Mommy checks the homework. Kid fixes any errors. Mommy says, "Good job." Move on to snack time.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010