how do i get my kid to not obsess over dessert?

she has the biggest sweet tooth i've ever seen? i can't get the right balance.

Help!

ilovemycrew5

Asked by ilovemycrew5 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you could try giving her a full glass of milk after dinner and doing dessert if you didnt have a timoe out/other punishment today. that way if she did act up she doesn't get it. kind of a give and take thing. plus if she has a full glass of milk after dinner she may not have room for the dessert. best of luck!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Make fruit a part of dessert. it's sweet and healthy
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• eliminate sweets. no one needs them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I wish I could quit obsessing about dessert. My kids love fruits, so they usually ask for oranges or watermelon for dessert. I'm such a lucky mom... My own food desires are more of an issue!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We only have dessert once a week.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 9:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We almost never have dessert, except for on special occasions.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My 7yo is the same - "is there dessert tonight?" "what's for dessert?". We rarely have real dessert - very frequently we have fruit as dessert just to get a break from the "what's for dessert" question. IF I'm going to let my kids have sweets it's earlier in the day - that really helps too to get way from the dessert questions later.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I had the biggest sweet tooth growing up! I'd eat some food but if there was any type of sugar I'd be the first one there! It completely reversed at 21 when I got pregnant. As far as dd, she only wants fruits and veggies.... She takes peas over a cookie!
    You could try a glass of milk with dessert, add fruit to dessert... Like with ice cream add strawberries! Maybe use yogurt and add fruits to that or puddings. Only do cakes or cookies for holidays like Christmas, Easter, the 4th, and halloween. If you take it away she will crave it more. Maybe try to teach her to listen to her body and make sure she gets her veggies, dairy and meats. Gl! Oh, maybe begals'with jelly could also be a treat!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We just don't offfer and only have 1-2 things for treats every now and then.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Moderation...offer some yummy fruit..strawberries or melons...my four year old loves it
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2010