Should it be stopped? Does the "church" care about the danger this could cause to our troops?

Petraeus told The Wall Street Journal Monday that Pastor Terry Jones' September 11 stunt could ignite violence from Taliban forces already versed in harnessing American headlines as propaganda:

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Hundreds of Afghans railed against the United States Monday and called for President Barack Obama's death during protests about Dove World Outreach Center's plans to burn the Islamic holy book on Sept. 11.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/06/general-david-petraeus-co_n_706718.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not going to read through the pages of responses, but I think yourspecial has forgotten that this is not anyone on CM's personal opinion, but that of General Patraeus. All this talk about how she sends her husband overseas and therefore has firsthand knowledge (though it's really secondhand) doesn't matter. General Patraeus knows far more about this situation than her or her spouse ever will.

Or, yourspecial, are you saying that you and your spouse know and understand this situation better than he does?
    NonnasMomma

Answer by NonnasMomma at 3:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• That particular church seems to know nothing about the Love of Christ and Honor. Burning the Quran is not going to do anything but cause a rise in people. Prayer is so much better. This isnt about a physical battle but a spiritual one anyway.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• But they have no problem killing American Christians who come into their country... where's the "peacefulness" they claim of their religion?
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I do have to wonder why you are so concerned sweet, since the Muslims are so peaceful.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• So sweet, what would you propose...burn the Constitution instead? Stopping them would violate their freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

I say boo hoo hoo...waa waa waa. We aren't dealing with nice people to begin with. If it makes large groups of them pitch a fit and threaten the president or even retaliate it will only go to prove the point many of us have been trying to make. These people hate us and want us dead. No amount of puppies, butterflies and ass kissing will change the fact.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• when that small group of extremists kills some US soldiers?

That group of extremists isn't so small.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Bigot. Insensitive. You 2 come on here thinking I am the one with the problem??!! You are both fools. Neither of you has a clue what actually goes on in Islamic controlled countries. I am willing to bet neither of you has watched your very soul be deployed to one of these places. I have watched mine time and again. I will watch him again very soon. Which one of you has had a loved one wounded by one of these extremists? Have either of you held a weeping Iraqi woman..a woman weeping for the deaths of 3 children all conceived by rape under the regime of Husein? When you have a little real life experience with what these radicals and just how many of them there are.............then you can come back and talk to me.

We have a valid problem all right........it is the POLITICALLY CORRECT fools that are able to vote.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:07 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Hundreds of Afghans railed against the United States Monday and called for President Barack Obama's death during protests about Dove World Outreach Center's plans to burn the Islamic holy book on Sept. 11.

Momma always said "Stupid is- as stupid does"... can't we just put them all on an island together- our radical idiots and their radical idiots?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I agree with him. However I took note of the statement--"It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't agree with what they are doing, but it falls under free speech protection ~ just like all the anti-war/we shouldn't be there protests earlier. If you didn't care about giving our enemy encouragement, you shouldn't care about hurting their feelies or making them angry. They were angry long before this and will continue to be angry whether the church is told to forget about it or not.

For what it's worth, I thought the purpose of war was to cause a lot of damage, owie up a lot of feelies, and make the enemy sorry they came out to play ~ and win. No one has EVER gone to war to make friends.

If we had done this right in the beginning ~ leveled Kabul when the Taliban wouldn't turn over Bin Laden ~ this would have been over long already. Instead we're stuck in this PC nightmare. Those of you who don't like war should have just let the military handle this their way ~ you didn't ~ now our soldiers are stuck with it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2010