Teachers or electronics???

My kids elementary school got a flat screen TV in the hallway. It just hangs there and shows pictures and random news like Tiger Woods begging forgiveness last year. But teachers are being laid off. This year the 5th graders all got laptops and the 4th graders are getting them now. But the class sizes are too big! I had one teacher friend tell me that this was because there is allotted amount of money for electronics and if there is extra THI is where it goes. I would ALSO like to mention that the school purchased Wii's to be used as reading incentives! WTH? Our school system is supposedly BROKE and and they NEED to raise taxes and incorporate more area so they can get the money they need!

Does this not sound a LITTLE crazy to anyone else? Is this a policy thing that goes on in anyone elses area?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• so sad the way the money is being allocated...all of our classrooms have huge new tvs mounted on the wall that hook up to the nice new laptops they gave the teachers so that the kids can have materials presented on tvs for them. but, we are up to almost 30 kids in each room with no sign of hiring more teachers :(
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• That's effed up. That hasn't happened in my daughters' school. They still use tangerine colored macs for computers and they do have laptops, but they are old and only the enrichment classes have access to them. The priorities are definitely screwed up. The old men can get boners at the cost of teachers' jobs and the schools can have high falutin electronics. Screw jobs. I don't actually mean that because there are no electronics that can replace a face to face learning session with a teacher.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• A wonderful illustration of why anyone running for a school board position should have to have both a grad level degree in education AND a grad level degree in business management.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 8:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I am on my daughters Home & School board. The principal last year was asking for Smart Boards (our goal for last year was 6, they are $2000 a piece) He also wanted a HUGE fish tank for the entrance way...I thought it was a stupid waste of money ...We didn't approve the money for that but we did install 12 Smart Boards......and he got his fish tank by asking for donations by asking alumni for donations in order for them to hold a reunion there....WIN WIN.....so I guess it depends WHERE the $$ comes from

I raise $$ for educational items & events and that's where I draw the line...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Our whole school has smart boards too. They are a LOT of fun and stuff but the kids dont seem to be learning any MORE and teachers keep disappearing!

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Its a fine line between keeping up with technology and funding staff positions- there are equal numbers of parents and educators on both sides. I believe a good teacher is just as engaging if not more so than a SmartBoard-and I teach technology for a living ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

They swear this will help keep them up with some of the other schools (that have moe $$) I have my doubts...we haven't had to let go any teachers but we lost our in house subs....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No, it doesn't sound a little crazy. It FREAKING EFFED UP.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Thank the brainiac that allocated a certain amount of money for different things ~ all of it comes at the expense of teachers and our children actually getting a decent education. Around here they are dumping teachers, upping class sizes, giving raises to the board and principals, and running the buses for all after school and sports events. Oh, and howling about the number of parents who support vouchers or are switching to home schooling/private schools.

I honestly believe that a moron IQ is a requirement for election to a school board.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• How sad! Honestly, I think I got a better education than my boys are getting. If it weren't for the extra stuff we do at home, they wouldn't learn as much.

Our church is once again thinking of starting a school. I hope they do. Catholic schools have excellent academic standards. I will be the first one to sign my kids up.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010