Any experience with Russian infants having fetal alcohol effects?

I am a single 39-year-old woman and would love to have a child and just starting to think about international adoption. I think I would like to have a baby girl who is hopefully healthy and am thinking about going with European Adoption Consultants b/c I am moving to Columbus OH and this looks like a good place in this region. I met with them last week and was very pleased. The only country that works for them is Russia. I think I am fine with Russia though they have indicated concerns of fetal alcohol effects. Does anyone have any advice for me regarding agency, country, anything. Does anyone have any stats or experience with percentages of Russian infants coming back with significant fetal alcohol effects? I feel a bit alone as I am single and a bit scared to make this decision on my own but also am hoping to get started with the process very soon. Thanks so much for any imput.

Tracy_L

Asked by Tracy_L at 8:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Adoption

• You know, I saw something on adopting from Russia on TV a long time ago. The lady had the same concerns. She spoke with her pediatrician (they had 2 other children at the time) and went she went to the orphanage the first time, the DR had her take a series of pictures to look for certain facial deformities.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2008