How do I stop an anxiety attack..

How do I stop myself from having an anxiety attack when every time I feel lightheaded or my breathing differs I think I might have one and the panic sets in, causing one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Health

• have you talked to your dr about this? do you have some zanex?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• try deep breathing excercises while counting and walking slowly it helped me cold water runing over my hands helped as well. Its a dizzy spiraling cycle that you want to interrupt the sooner it's interrupted the less extreme it will be
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Try deep breathing. Focus on something, like a key word such as "calm" or "peace". Slowly inhale for the count of 5, then slowly exhale for the same count. With time, it becomes easier. Acknowledge the anxiety, let it come, act as if its not there. Try to watch yourself as an out of body experience. Don't let it consume you or control you. It will pass.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Mine are caused from a specific situation that I won't go into. I had one that was so bad one day that I called my doc and he called me in a script for Xanax. If they aren't too bad I just try to relax and breath through them.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It takes time... you have to learn to not freak out over that kind of thing. It took me a good year to get over it and realize that I was worried about dying so much that I was wasting my life. Keep busy, don't think about it... focus on the good stuff. Breathe slowly and deeply. I always need to step outside for a minute and just tell myself to calm down.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Honestly I take deep breaths and pray. I pray that God will help me to deal with whatever it is. I pray that he will take the fear and panic away. More often than not it works. That is my personal faith based solution I know it's not the same for everyone.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Well they put me on meds for it at one time but then I found when i was having a really bad one if you have someone to call and talk to it usually helps that would always calm me down I know wierd but worth a shot lol but the meds really do help but i hated taking them!!!
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 9:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Try taking a magnesium supplement. Anxiety attacks are often triggered by a nutritional deficiency, especially magnesium.

Ther eis a wonderful book called No More Panic by Clair Weeks; you should be able to find it at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• You can use logic with yourself. What I mean by that is remind yourself that the panic is not based on a real situation and tell yourself even out loud that it is an anxiety attack, nothing there is going to hurt you. Keep reminding yourself of this. You should also repeat scripture about what the Bible says about fear. The Devil comes to steal, kill, and destroy...don't let him steal your peace of mind. For example, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." There is power in spoken words. Saying the word of God outloud gives you power over everything! If you want other scriptures, message me! :)
    Hope this helps. <3
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• The best treatment that I have found is counseling, writing, and meds. I take a very safe medication that is not habit forming like xanax. It is called Buspar. Buspar truly does help to control anxiety. Writing will help you to feel better because it will help you get out things that are making you anxious/stressed. Counsling really is a great tool because they teach you breathing techniques and coping techniques to use. It wasn't until I had Meds and Counseling hand in hand that I truly got better.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010