How long does the postpartum bleeding last and is it normal for it to slow down and get heavier again?

It's never that heavy but it goes to almost nothing and gets bright red and heavier again. How long with this last!? Seems like it will never go away. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes I bled off and on from heavy to spotting for about 7-8 weeks after each kid. It was awful! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Depends. I think I heard like up to 6 weeks. You are also supposed to get a regular period after the baby too. That could be the change in bleeding. Its all hormonal.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• With my last one I did. I noticed that the bleeding would get lighter and then I would get more active and it would get heavier again. The more you take it easy the faster it will slow down I think.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Probably for the 6 months after you had ur baby you body will do all sorts of odd crazy things...it just needs to find its grove again. and yes its normal!
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 9:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I've heard it's normal from my friends.... I was lucky and bled for 5 days but I had an emergency C though so that might have been part of it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i bled for 2 months. ugh. first i bled a lot for six weeks then it stopped for a week and started again for two more weeks. usually it lasts 6 weeks. all the bleeding does seem like it's forever but it will stop eventually. your body will take a few months to go back to normal though.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It is very normal and will stop if you have been sedentary for a long while. If you then get up and get busy cooking or another activity, be prepared for heavy bleeding out of nowhere. It can surprise you because it just happens but it is normal.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Ask ur doctor but i finally just got onto a regular period n had angy in june, if u breast feed that could affect ur period as well
    chipNskip

Answer by chipNskip at 9:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Honestly, if it gets light brown and nearly stops and then starts up again bright read, it is from overdoing it. It sounds like that you need to take it easy and let your body get some rest and recovery time.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 9:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2010