kids curssing

So my sister n her husband allow their 2yr old dd to cuss n they think its cute, whenever they have bbq n most of our family attends they brag about it and think its funny, nobody in our fam thinks its funny we even make faces when they r telling us, just yesterday my brother n law was telling us a new curse word she learned, after he saw that nobody thought it was cute, he changed, he got after his dd for telling my sis to shut up, my family has told my sis that its not cute & have asked her what is she going to do when they call her from school to let her know her dd has a bad mouth.The other day my ds sd a word n i was shocked i spanked him in his mouth n told him it better be the last time he ever sd an ugly word, n my sister apologized n sd he must of gotten it from her dd. why on earth do some parents let their kids say things& why on earth does my sister??

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't, and never will, buy in to the idea of "bad words." I don't really brag that my kids "cuss" but I don't really stop them either. I am more of the belief that the USE of a word is more important than the word itself. I would much rather hear my kids use a "cuss" word in passing than use non-cuss words to put someone else down or belittle them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My brother is the EXACT same way. He sees nothing wrong with his kids saying whatever they feel like (so does my SIL). Then we go to visit and come home and my kids think it's ok to talk like that.......wrong!!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yea i know that kids will eventually do it at some point but w/my kids hey not in front of me or i better not hear my family or friends say that they heard my kids, im sure they will do in middle or high school kids will be kids, but the parents allowing it makes me sick.
    gabby06

Comment by gabby06 (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't think parents should teach disrespectful behavior, unfortunantly some parents do. I understand that kids will hear these words from their parents, TV, School. What we as parents need to do is to teach kids to be respectful and what is and is not appropriate behavior. When your sister is allowing her child to cuss in your childs presence it is allowing her child to be disrespectful, not only to you but to all around. Unfortunantly you don't have much choice in this matter, as much as you don't like what her daughter is allowed to say you can either not go to the BBQ's or go and not complain. Just make sure your child knows not to repeat what her child says. Your sister is raising her daughter that way, so unless she is physically abusing her or being neglectful there is nothing you can do. You can let your sis know that unless she and her child can be respectful, she won't be allowed over.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 11:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't give power to words, so my kids are allowed to say whatever they want. They are not allowed to be disrespectful though. And really, since I don't make a big fuss about it, they hardly ever use curse words.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:22 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It's sad really... the poor kids will grow up embarrassed and awkward because they were never taught how to be appropriate. Other parents and children will keep their distance. It is the children who end up being affected the most because they will be so desensitized to inappropriate behavior and will have all sorts of difficulties in school/social situations.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• my sister is the same way..she teaches her son to spit, hit, punch..call women "dumb bitch"..say "fuck you" ..."shut up" ....etc.. she thinks its funny. when he does it to her though she spanks him. i just don't get. I'm happy his daddy is trying to get full custody of him and if i'm called to court i will tell the judge what a shitty parent i think my sister is
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• cussing gets prganic soap i the mouth! Not acceptable!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well I guess I make you sick then. A word is a word. People give it power and I refuse to do that. My sons can cuss at home as much as they want. I don't care.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Oh no no no...I do not, and will not, allow my kids to say cuss words or any other kind of "mean" words like "shut up". I think it is disrespectful and trashy. It is MY job as a mother to teach what is right and wrong and they will learn what is appropriate and what isn't. I can't believe some people allow that kind of thing and aren't correcting their kids! When their kids get to school or day care...what then? The kids won't have many friends because most parents I know wouldn't let their kids hang with them that is for sure!
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2010