i think i could be in labor, but confused because this is nothing like my first, please some advice

ok i will be 38 weeks on thursday, im having what im think are contractions every 5 min i just get a hard belly mild period cramps and im in constant dull lower back pain. i just had diarea and had a lttle blood in the toilet about 5pm today. this is my second but its all new with my first at 37 weeks and 5 days my water broke while i was sleeping i rush to the hospital, i was told i was 4cm and having contractions every 4 min but i never felt a thing until 2 hours before i had the baby. when contractions finally started they were horrible pain(total labor from my water breaking was 6 hrs).so im not expecting the same, so is this labor and when do i go to the hospital? do i wait till my water breaks? or do i wait till im in horrible pain? i dont want to wait till to late (ob told me its very possible this labor could be half the time of the first) but i dont want to rush to the hospital and it be false labor or something. tk

mrsaustin271

Asked by mrsaustin271 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Take a walk around, drink some water, take a bath, or lay down. If the contractions get more intense, closer than 5 minutes lasting for longer than 45 seconds, and you can't walk, talk or breathe through them, then it's time to head to the hospital.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would go in
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Sounds like you could possibly be in early labor, Doctors usually like you to wait until, there is more consistancy before heading to the hospital. If you have more questions it is always best to contact your provider
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 10:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• They are used to women coming in......and leaving again! It is always better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would go to the hospital. BABY number 2 nothing like the 1st come. I have my 2nd one just like that. I would do just to be on the safe side. Good luck
    sguy1983

Answer by sguy1983 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• walk and drink fluids-- -- when they are 3 minutes apart for 30 minutes call your ob
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i have 3 kids, youngest is 5 months. I really think u are in labor. ALL LABORS are different. DO NOT WAIT FOR YOUR WATER TO BREAK!!!!! dont wait for the pain to get bad because with my 2nd, i did not think i was in labor, just having pain in my groin and i was 4 cm and having steady contractions. the red in the toilet was bloody show, or maybe mucus plug not all woman know they pass that, with my second i didnt. if u call ob they will tell u to drink a full glass of water and lay on ur left side. if it dont go away then go in but if its been doing this a whie u need to go in. they will monitor you and check you, it wouldnt hurt. better be safe than to late ya know. they can come faster, mine did. TRUST ME, im spretty sure its labor. my second was exactly 38 weeks and 3rd was 37 and 5 days. GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED
    VDietrich

Answer by VDietrich at 10:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• thanks all, im just confused because i know its supposed to be really pain full this is not ,just lots of tightness mild cramps and lots of pressure in my bottom(but that could be from diarea). i just dont want to wake my hubby and 21mt old up and go to the hospital and it be a waste of time. this is really rediculous because this is my second, i should know right! but everyone keeps telling me they are all so diffrent. o and when i went to the ob 6 days ago i was 1-2cm and 50%effaced and she could feel his head, but of course that could still take a while before birth. gosh im sorry im just stressing out.
    mrsaustin271

Comment by mrsaustin271 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would advise that you go ahead and go in. My Mother in Law is a Labor and Delivery nurse and she is always telling my friends that they would rather you come in and know the answers to possible complications/labor/etc than for something to hapen to you or the baby. It is much better to know than not know. Good Luck Mama.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Every baby is different. I didn't have any signs of early labor with my three....just bam, bleeding and contractions 7 minutes apart. No kidding. My first was only 5 1/2 hours. My second was positioned facing up and took 6 1/2 hours. My third took 3hr 45 min. My second came with lower back pain, constant and intensifying. If your contractions are consistant, call your OB and see what they say. Good luck and congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2010