A CRIME

As a parent if you knew your child (8-16) did a horrific crime would u turn him/her in..
would you keep it to yourself an act like you dont know?

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• that is a really hard question what kind of horrific crime are we talking about. I would have a real hard time if my baby would be taken away from me but i know i would have to do what was right by my country and my child that is a great question
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• def turn in for 2 reasons... first i would want them to knw they need to pay for their crime but mostly because if you dont and its found that you knew about and didnt tell then you could risk loosing them to juvie where if you do then they can say that you can keep the kid at home (depending on the crime im sure) my brother (now 13) sexually molested a now 4 year old girl last year and is living at home because my mother turned him in....
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It would depend on what the crime was and how much I really thought they did it. I think as a parent there is always that "MY child wouldn't do that" attitude, even if you KNOW the truth, you don't want to believe it. And I think a huge part of being willing to step forward and point the finger at a person for a crime is believing they did it... Really, this isn't the kind of question I think someone can answer until they have been through it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• horrific as molesting,rape,an murder..
    had a family member who was 13 but was doing horrific things to his 2 sister an brother an neighborhood kids..his mom never turned him in..parents pressed charges..she sent himm down south..being down there for only 6mons..he killed a 2 yr old an carved his name across the boys chest...
    if only she had turned him in..m/b he wouldve got some help...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would turn them in. everyone has to face the consequences of thier choices no matter how horrible those consequncesare or painful for everyone in the family.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Someone has to hold children accountable for their actions, and it HAS to start with the parents
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 10:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• omg thats terrible, i love my boys to death but if i ever found out that they did such crime, i would turn them in, i was molested as a child n till this day i have heard of friends kids that were molested its just horrible.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• yeah molesting rape murder i would turn them in, it would be hard but i would and another reason to turn them in would be to protect other people in the home and in the neighborhood., also like you mentioned if a child is doing things like THAT there is a good chance they need help
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• my worry is if it was my own..would i wake up with them standing over my bed with a knife or gun..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Of course! Because I love my child and would want help. At that young age the courts have specialists who determine if this is due to mental illness or abuse. Then appropriate interventions are put in place. I would never leave my child without help. An eight year old who touches inappropriately is most likely sexually reactive. Meaning someone did that to them. Or a child who is living with bipolar disorder may be hypersexual. I want to know....my child deserves assistance. Why would you not if you are responsible?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2010