a form of child abuse?

Ok so we have this next door neighbor who comes over daily he is 12 and home schooled. The thing is that me and DH were talking with him about his home schooling cause he is always outside and never seems to be doing school work well then DH started to quiz him and he has no idea what Times is or what 2x2 is........i remember learning that in the 3rd grade and he is 12! What could i do? is this like a sign of child abuse? i just feel like i should do something but i dunno if i can..i feel bad for him cause they are sending him off to school next school year and he won't know anything he would be at a 2nd grade level

LOVE_mygirls58

Asked by LOVE_mygirls58 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• CONTINUED

Homeschooled. I understand that the concern comes in when you ask him questions and he doesn't know. Maybe he is just shy around you guys or doesn't want to answer. I know that you are honestly concerned but I think that the County will follow up and make sure that his parents are doing what they are supposed to be doing. They will also know if he has a disability or something that is keeping him from learning like he should.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Grr. Posts like these get me angry. You have no idea what is going on in the house. You don't know if he has learning disorders. Lots of angry children DO have learning problems. Just because he is outside doesn't mean he isn't learning.
    I also homeschool. I have sent my kids outside. Remember...that is called PE. I have also said, go collect leaves for your science notebook. OR Go look at bugs to see how they live. Just because it is outside the box doesn't mean it isn't learning. He may know his multiplication tables, he may not. MANY kids do not have those memorized at that age. It is right at that age they realize it is important. That is the age parents have to RETEACH it.
    Sorry this is so bitchy...I just get pissed at the judging when you really don't know.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 10:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Agreed with Whatkids! Who are you to start quizzing someone else's child? Do other people come up to your kids and start quizzing them to make sure they are actually learning what they "should" be learning in public schools, and not slipping through the cracks? Do you have any idea how many kids graduate high school, not knowing how to read or do simple math? Perhaps his parents feel he isn't ready to learn multiplication yet. Not all kids learn all things at the same time. Stop being so judgmental. Just because they aren't doing it your way, doesn't meaning they aren't doing what is best for their child.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

*********************

THIS.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Wow can we say judgemental!! I think you should mind your own business! Maybe he didn't feel like telling you what the answer to 2 x 2 is, maybe math is his worst subject, the list goes on and on. Would you want someone quizing your kids on what you are teaching them?? And as far as him being outside a lot, that's great in my opinion. Kids in public schools hardly get time outside or none at all in some schools.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If they are going to send him next year maybe they see that too. I'd wait and make sure he goes next year. If he goes then no worries.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• There isn't really anything YOU can do. It's sad that this is the case, but it's done and there isn't really anything that can be done at this point. The child COULD be learning disabled or the parents COULD simply not be doing their job to teach him... Although it seems like they aren't doing their job, you never know...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yea id say wait, but poor kid.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I am a Homeschool Parent and it's situations like this that upset me because it's these situations that people use when they want to put down Homeschool Parents.

Usually the County will follow up with Homeschool Families so at some point, I am sure that they will come out. What state do you live in? I can look up the laws and know if they will come visit the child.

Maybe he is diabled or has something wrong with him that you do not know about. It is easy to assume that things are a certain way and it is not so.

We had neighbors that tried to cause a stink because they thought my kids were outside playing when they should have been inside learning. It turns out that they made themselves look bad because we had all of the paperwork to prove that we were learning and everything the kids were doing. Homeschool is a lot different that Public school. Just because kids are outside does not mean that they are not being.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• ok thank you so much! i thought about him being disabled but i dunno he has a very very bad anger problem and i live in Wisconsin. Thank you for your advice
    LOVE_mygirls58

Comment by LOVE_mygirls58 (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2010