How much does your 7 wk old weigh and eat?

I feel as though my 7 week old son is eating tons. I want to be sure he's eating enough, but at the same time I don't want to overfeed him and make him fat. During the day he eats every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and he takes out 4 or 5 oz of breastmilk (bottled because I'm pumping) if not even 6 oz sometimes. If I give him formula rather than breastmilk, he'll drink 4oz of that. I weighed him with me on the scale it said he weighs 12lbs. That seems like a lot for a 7 week old. I'm kind of concerned that I'm overfeeding him and he's getting fat.

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 10:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He should be putting on 4-6 ounces a week from lowest weight. His daily need is 24-30 ounces a day. It does sound lie he's being overfed; it's VERY easy to do that with a bottle.

What OTHER babies weigh is immaterial... that's like comparing you to every other woman of your age, regardless of heights. How much other babies eat really is immaterial too.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son was around 11 or so pounds at 8 weeks. I honestly don't know how much he ate at that age as he was exclusively breastfed and not from a bottle. Ask his Pedi if you're worried whether that's a normal amount of milk or not. It sounds like a lot for that age, but I'm no doctor.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 1:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• That's really not that big for a 7 week old, depending on how big he was when he was born, as long as your breastfeeding my understanding is that you can't overfeed the baby, just feed him as much as he wants. Every 2-3 hours is normal. My 7 month old still nurses every 2-3 hours! My first boy was 7 lbs 8 oz at birth and 11 lbs at 6 weeks. My 2nd boy was 9 lbs at birth and 11 lbs at 6 weeks. Both have had the same exact growth curve ever since (at least up until 7 months, which is how old my younger son is now). My daughter started off at 8 lbs and grew really slow and is a very tiny almost 3 year old now, she was the best eater I had. I think they have their own growth curve I don't think there is really anything you can do to change it when you are breastfeeding, except for starving them.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't know how much difference it makes with pumping vs. breastfeeding. My kids all refused bottles. But I did the weigh feed weigh thing with my oldest and he was taking 5 oz as a newborn! Or at least he weighed 5 oz more after he ate, if it compare exactly.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• my son is 7 weeks he was 7lbs 2 oz at birth and im not sure exacally how much hes weighs but I would say about 12 lbs. I pump and formula feed from a bottle....he nurses until im empty because I dont make very much. He eats about every 2 hours during the day and if hes really hungry he will eat 4 oz. weather its BM or Formula and sometimes a little less. If he takes in more then 4 1/2 oz he will spit up. Does he spit up at all because that is a good indication of overfeeding. Try to make an oz less in the bottle and see if he is content with that or if hes not hungry and just wants to suck try a pacifier
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 3:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Breastmilk is thinner than formula so it may seem like he is eating more frequently and that is fine. Babies eat when they are hungry, and while bottle feeding makes it easier to overfeed, as long as you aren't forcing it, then he is fine. Babies have growth spurts at around 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months so he very well may need the extra food to support his growing! You should not be worrying about limiting food at such a young age, this can cause kids to have reservations about food for a lifetime and have eating problems.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Mom please dont worry about a 7 week old being fat. The child just entered the world. Also a baby will push the nipple or spoon back if she or he is full. If for some reason your child doesn't, a good indication is the stomach will be absolutely tight. Keep in mind, like yourself if you cut back on the food it will cause you to become over weight. The body stores fat if it thinks it's not getting any food for some period. Im not saying that you are starving your child. Perhaps you are a new mom and want to ensure you are doing the right thing. There isn't anything wrong with being a new mom- no offense intended.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 6:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010