how do you keep organized?!

Ok... I am a single mother of 3 darling children ages 4,2, and 4months. I love my children to death. I just have a serious problem keeping everything else in my life and home in order. My house is clean (dust and dirt wise) but everywhere i look there are toys, books, movies and other household things that are driving me crazy! I feel like i am cleaning and picking up things ALL DAY LONG! I have tryed over and over again to minimize what we have but i am failing. Its not like theres things piled sky high or little trails around. Its more like, i only have two hands and 24hrs in a day... I just cant keep up with it all. Laundry, dishes, cleaning, chasing my kids, dogs, family.. Well you get the idea. How do you keep it all together? My friends and family call me super mom because i am non stop moving and doing things but really, im always busy because im so behind on stuff and trying to catch up! How do i get ahead of the game?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 10:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hey Im a single mom too, and honestly I dont think any of us moms ever get ahead of the game. One thing you can try with the 4 and 2 yr olds is to get a big toy box and have them put their toys away before whatever time you think is right. Bedtime, bathtime, dinnertime. I usually had the kids start to pick up before bathtime. That way they went from bathtime to downtime before bedtime. I wish you the best, I have walked in your shoes. Sometimes its ok if its not orgainized, sometimes thats just how that day ended up. Always tomorrow to organize again,,:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Start enlisting the help of your 4 and 2 yr olds. Get some colored baskets for games, 'babies', and other things. Then have them help. Use each basket (different colors) for each different type of toy or even for each childs' toys. Then tell them to put ___ in __ colored basket. Make it a game and you may have to tell them to pick up certain things, not just "pick up your toys" since that may be too complex.

As for the rest of family, they can help. Laundry, have the kids help...when putting it up, have them get all the socks together for you, then all the undies...let them do the sorting. My 3 yr old, dusts and washes windows...they may not be perfect but I can see out them and she feels like it's a game. GL!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have bins, baskets, and make lists. I also make my 4 year old help. He cleans his room, helps fold towels, and helps load the dishwasher.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I am a single mom too. I am up before the sun rises & that is when I get most of my cleaning (laundry included) done. Then I keep up with a schedule throughout the day. And under no circumstances is my DD allowed to make a mess & leave it to me clean up. She will be 3 soon & she is fully aware of her responsibilities- has been since she was about a year old. Make your kids get involved. Its their home too. Good luck.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 3:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I feel your pain, and I'm a married mom! My husband works long hours, so he's not usually in the mood to help me clean up when he gets home- which I completely understand. My house is full of clutter, just because I don't have any place to put it. My kids and I have started a little routine though- so that at least the house is presentable when my husband gets home from work. We spend the ten minutes before he gets home cleaning up toys, books, whatever else finds its way to the floor. I turn up the music and we dance all around while cleaning up. It works! My husband has been pleasantly surprised when he comes home. Twenty minutes later it's a mess again... but we do this a couple times a day to at least get all the toys up off the floor!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Do the bin things, but put pictures on the front, so the kids know what goes where. A trick my babysitter used to do was have the kids pick up twice a day, before lunch and before parent pick up. My DS helps pick up before his nap, and then I can usually squeeze in the vacuuming before he's actually asleep so the noise doesn't bother him (he's a light sleeper). He also helps pick up before Daddy comes home. That way, they are involved in cleanign up their own messes and you're not crazy...well, not for THAT reason anyway. ;-) You do have to praise, praise, praise when they help out and singing Barney's Clean Up song always seems to help. Anything to make it fun. You can have contests: who is the fastest picker upper, who can get the most toys in the bin tossing them from 3 ft away, who can smile the whole time they are picking up...you get the idea.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Oh, and I'm giving you a bumpity bump!
    JawgaMom1

• very simple.... Tote boxes labled for anyhitng that you do not use regularly, and a file folder for all peperwork...etc.
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Do 10 minute cleanups with a reward at the end.
    Remember the fewer things you have the less there is to pick up and put away.
    Do not save unnecessary things.
    Get rid of clothes as soon as they wear out or do not fit.
    Broken toys go
    Wrappers etc. go into the garbage immediately.
    Do not leave them on counter until later.
    It does not take any loner to throw it way than to lay it down.
    Clothes go into the laundry when they come off, not on the floor or chair to be picked up later.
    You will find skipping the middle point can really save and keep things neater.
    Use a duvet on all beds and teach the kids to pull up when they get up. Instant bedmaking.

P.S. Count your blessings you do not have a husband to pick up after too.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010