Parenting Style Question...VENT

So I took my DD to the park today she is almost 5 months old. She loved see the animals but after awhile she got tired so I took out a blanket and sat down with her under a big tree. I put her on the blanket she had a paci, was cuddling a stuff animal, and she was on her tummy. A woman (who I didn't know) came up to me and told me that I was a neglectful mother and that CPS should be called or that she hoped my child died in her sleep because I didn't deserve her. She has been rolling over in her sleep since she was 6 weeks old. I have always let her sleep the way that comes naturally to her.

Am I a bad mother? Should I loss my child?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 10:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After a child can roll over, there is no way to keep them from sleeping on their tummies. Most children who have the choice prefer to sleep that way. When our children were little, it was considered proper to put babies on their stomach even as tiny infants. The thinking back then was that there was less danger of choking should the child spit up. There were not as many SIDS deaths back then as there are now, even though the rules have all been changed to say we should only put them on their backs.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• That woman sounds like a psycho. I would have told her that I suggested she check herself into the nearest mental hospital, lol. What kind of person says something like that?!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• What a horrible thing to say. I hope you were just the same. Tell her, well, since you obviously can't say a kind thing I hope you lose the ability to speak.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Literally, I just don't know where you people live that people are always coming up to you making rude comments. I have lived near Chicago and near St. Louis... no one ever approaches anyone like that. Granted, you might get shot, but still I have a hard time believing people really say stuff like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• wow. what a bitch. i'm sorry she said such a horrible thing to you. i truly hope this woman doesn't have children. you are a good mom. babies roll over on their own. it's part of learning how to crawl. even if you tried her to stop from rolling over she would learn how to eventually. don't let some inconsiderate rude biotch lady make you feel like a bad mother. she doesn't deserve the satisfaction.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Oh, sorry, to answer the question, no I don't think you should lose your child or that you are wrong.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• HELL no. In that case CPS should have taken my son away a long time ago. Once a child can roll over the risks of SIDS decreases significantly. I didn't introduce foods one at a time, my son was off formula/breast milk by 9 months, and he ate eggs and strawberries before a year old.

That woman was simply being an uneducated b***h. She had no right to tell you anything about your child. I'm sorry you were approached in that manner!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No, the fact that you didn't knock the woman out is proof enough to me that you have the patients to deal with a child... And my kids always sleep on their belly, from day one! Seriously, I would have hit her and given her a reason to call someone!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think anyone who would say that to a mother deserves to be smacked. Every child is different, and some kids prefer sleeping on their stomachs. Once a child learns to roll over, there is nothing you can do. You just have to deal with it, and make sure there in nothing around the baby's face so that she might suffocate. No, you don't deserve to have your baby taken away, and most certainly do not deserve to have your child die. I'm sorry that you had to hear that. I never have and can not imagine the hurt that you are feeling.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• wow,..i can't believe she said that to you,.your babe was right there in front of you sleeping. Even pediatricians say it's ok to do that. If your child is rolling over in her sleep there's nothing you can do to stop her. most kids DO prefer to sleep that way. Don't sweat it,..that lady is CRAZY!!
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 11:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010