Did Jesus go to Hell?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't believe in Hell, so my first answer is no. However, I do know there are certain Christian belief systems which teach this. The belief is that he died and went to hell because he could not ascend to heaven until after his resurrection... They believe it's all a part of his fulfilling his purpose...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Some religions believe in purgatory and think that He went there. But I believe that Jesus did not go to hell.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have no idea. Even though I am not religious anymore, it was always my understanding that he went to heaven.
    .JessicaRabbit.

Answer by .JessicaRabbit. at 11:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I believe according to the Bible He did:

Ephesians 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
    Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
    Act 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
    Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

So I believe that during His 3 days of death that he descended into hell, also freed those that were in Abraham's bosom and brought them to Heaven with Him. (we just discussed this in another answer section, I can't remember where this was)

missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 7:12 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well there is actually debate about that. They have discovered that the area below where the crucifixtion took place was actually a landfill. And to transport his body to his tomb they had to take him through the landfill. And the landfill's name was something that translate to Hell.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:19 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• doubt it. No real real he went anywhere. Its all myths and stories told 2000 yrs ago
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

huh?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:18 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

and NOW....I've heard it all ;-)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 10:22 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well, unlike the primitive, superstitious people of the biblical days, I don't believe that hell in is the bowels of the earth, any more than I believe that heaven is in the sky. And, imo, Paul was the worst kind of liar and a heretic. He attributed words and actions to Jesus that are never mentioned in the four main gospels (five if you count Acts). It is a phony legend that, after he died physically, Jesus descended into hell to open the gates and free all of those who died before they could be "saved" by his bloody slaughter on the cross. The patriarchs, like Moses, Abraham, King David, and others, as well as the old prophets. He took them home to heaven! Just like Walt Disney, Paul took the christian fairytale, embellished it, and changed the ending. All the best snake-oil salesmen do it!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No. In my beliefs, hell does not exist. God does not punish us. Why would he give us the promise of a ransom if we are going to a hell? That is contradicting. I would like to study this. Thanks 35.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010