Is it ok to drink alcohol and be a Christian?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• it all depends on what branch of christianity you partake in. some believe alcohol is only okay during communion etc
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Of course. DId not Jesus turn water in to wine? however drinking to excess is not Godly
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I am a Christian and have an occasional drink from time to time. I don't get drunk ever. I am sure some would think I am a bad Christian for drinking but some attend churches that are more about religious dogma than about a relationship with God.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think as long as you don't get drunk it is fine.
    motherwanting6

Answer by motherwanting6 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yes mam it is, as long as it's in moderation and celebration of God's holy day's, high holidays, or mild relaxation. If you cant control your alcohol intake then i'd advise you not to partake in drinking.
    PorscheJ

Answer by PorscheJ at 11:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Drinking is fine,..getting drunk is not. I would like to hear from some Christians who believe that alcohol is not ok in any capacity though. My husbands family feels that way but I don't ask them why because I don't want to start some kind of debate with my in-laws lol
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 11:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit" Eph 5:18

http://www.talkjesus.com/church-sermons/8338-get-drunk-holy-spirit-not-wine.html
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 11:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Great debate question! I have people in my life that believe drinking of any kind is wrong and a sin. I have also people in my life that drink and are also christians. BUT I personally believe it is your own personal relationship with God and he will deal with your heart. And I am not to judge anyone else whether they drink of not drink. I drink and love God and I personally want to stop because of my own convictions. My husband has a problem with drinking and can see why the warnings in the bible should be taken serious. Alcohol is a huge problem in our marriage and want it gone. It is a mind altering drug. In the time of Christ they did drink wine. People argue what the percentage of alcohol was back then, and it was only used for celebration and other important occasions. Some say today it is over used. Any excuse to drink, example St Patricks day and people are not even Irish but its an excuse to drink.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yes. Jesus drank wine and I take my teachings directly from him. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Do not be a drunkard.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 7, 2010