What is the difference between religion and spirituality?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there :)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Spirituality doesn't require belief in a diety or supernatural entity and mythological places. Nor does it require a faith and hope in something or require alot of rituals. Spirituality just "is".
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• For me they are intertwined- for others they are not. It depends what spirits you believe in and how they operate.

And for the record- I am not afraid of hell-not even a little bit- that is not the basis of religion. The basis of religion is Faith, not fear.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Spirituality is a state of being, not belief in spirits.

Like when your really into playing your music, it can feel very spiritual (example).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:00 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My spirituality connects to my heart and emotions, my mental inclinations. My religion is the being that I connect to.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• religion is a set a rules that you follow

spirituality is glorifying your own spirit

neither of which describe Christianity. ;-)
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• religion is a set of rules made up by people
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Spirituality: the state or quality of being dedicated to God, religion, or spiritual [spiritual: "of or pertaining to the spirit"] things or values, esp as contrasted with material or temporal ones
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• In short, not a whole lot.
    WomanWitty