I am still so beside myself...my daughter burned her hands today touching the side of a grill...

We were cooking out for Labor Day and we were done, packing up and getting ready to leave the area and she touched the side of the grill..immediately starts crying of course. We take her to the doctors and they put cream on her hands and wrap them up. I feel so terrible. I looked up and saw her getting ready to and I get up to go get her and I am saying her name but everything was in slow motion and before I got to her she touched it. Has this happened to anyone else's child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh honey I know you must feel just awful. My brother (who is 14 years younger than me) pulled a cup of hot tea on himself when he was 2. Burned his chest and hand. You could hardly hold him for a week because of the burns on his torso and he cried so badly when his dressings were changed. My dad had just brought a cup in to my mom who was watching TV. He crossed right in front of her so he though she knew the cup was there. My brother was used to getting sips and just was doing what was normal. Try not to beat yourself up too much. If you feel worse she'll feel worse. Luckily kids are so resillient and for the most part ignore injuries like this until attention is called to it. my brother healed just fine, no scarring or anything. I hope everything turns out fine.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 11:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Oh Momma! How sad ):

Sometimes things just happen and we do our best to watch out for our kids, but they are wily little creatures and get into trouble anyway. We have not had a burn, but we have had other disasters. It happens to the best of us.

Big Hugs!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Don't be so hard on yourself mama, things happen. Sometimes no matter how much we say no kids manage to try things out. She will probably never touch it again. My cousins daughter picked up her curling Iron and burned her hand. She had ointment and wrapping, she has no scars. My son fell hit a bed and his tooth went through his lip. I felt really bad, we got the bleeding stopped, no stitches and no scar. She'll be ok :-)
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 11:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• When my son was 8 months old he grabbed a bowl of soup off the table. He was sitting in my lap and it happened so quickly! We took him to the ER and when they were done with the bandages he looked like a mummy. He had second degree burns and it took almost a month to heal, but there are no scars. It was one of the worst moments of my life!! I cried and cried when we got home from the ER. I was terrified they would call social services on us but they didn't, we must have looked scared enough at the hospital.
    Mistakes happen, just because they get hurt sometimes doesn't make you a bad mom. Even before we got home from the ER my son was his happy self again :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yes, we were at a party, and I had a newborn and 2 year old. I was holding the baby, and turned around just in time to see my 2 year old reaching for the grill. I screamed, and my husband was standing right by him, but he wasn't quite quick enough. Luckily, he wasn't badly burnt, but it did hurt for days. I felt just terrible, and so did my husband.

If it helps any, he's now 21, and apparently didn't even know this happened until just now when I read this and mentioned it!!

Hugs to you, and your daughter. She'll heal, your guilt will probably last longer than her memory of the event.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Accidents happen. Did they give you instructions for meeting her pain needs? Are these 2nd degree burns, as they tend to be the most painful? 3rd degree burns, burn through nerve endings so pain is decreased. Burns can be really painful, so sleeping might be hard for her.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son was 14 when we were trapped in a twenty foot trailer that was on fire. We both got out with burns but alive. I started the fire accidentally. Don't blame yourself for what happened. That's why there called accidents. This happened 10 years ago. We r fine
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have had 2 of my kids burned and the first time i did not take my daughter to the DR because i was afraid they would accuse me of child abuse, but a neighbor talked me into it and I went in and told the DR my fears he said the story matches the the burn mark and nothing to worry about. what happened was I was holding her at 14 months and grabbed a curling iron off the counter, unplugged it and with that and her wiggly ways it got her on her side. Another time was in the kitchen with a pot of boiling water and macaroni. I was transferring it to the sink from the stove and my other daughter bumped into me splashing her forehead. We all make mistakes as parents and just know everything will be fine and from this you will now be safer and help others be safer. ((HUGS))
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:58 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yes my ds was running & ran into the gril 2 weeks ago, when we yelled his name he turned & ended up burning his ear n not his face of course when he felt the burn he lifted his arm to shield his face n burned his arm, i felt horrible we saw everything happen, his whole face was bandaged up he ended up getting a 2nd degree burn on his ear & 1st degree on his arm, that was 2 weeks ago, everything is pretty much healed now.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Don't be too hard on yourself. You did try to keep her from touching it and that is what matters. Her hands will heal. She's got youth on her side. You can't protect your kids from everything. I hope she feels better.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2010