did anyone here suffer from post partum depression?

i was diagnosed with post partum depression a few days after i had my son. i was wondering if anyone else had and if you would mind sharing your stories and any advice for the guilt?

AIDEN032807

Asked by AIDEN032807 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Health

• I was and you eventually get over it.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 12:24 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• After my 2nd child I NOW know I had PPD, but never talked to anyone or sought help. I regret that because I missed out on a lot with my children. I suffered for over a year!! Poor dh was miserable and didn't know what to do. I had a miscarriage three years ago and discussed the feelings with my OB. She knew what was going on and prescribed an antidepressant. Sure I was very sad after the miscarriage, but it was more than that. I could not function and I REFUSED to go through a horrible time AND put my family through that horrible time that I had before. And then again after my last son was born. It was a very difficult birth and he had to stay in NICU for a short time. It was awful! So again I went on antidepressants. I can tell you that you should NOT feel guilty because you did something about it. You got the help you need. That is a way of taking care of yourself AND your family. It is hard to get over, but by getting .....
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• help you need NOW it will save you so much guilt and regret later. Talk to someone if you are still feeling bad. It helps, trust me! Take care and good luck mama!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• thank you!
    AIDEN032807

Comment by AIDEN032807 (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I had it with both of my Children. However, I did not have a good support system. Everyone made me feel like it was my fault and I shouldn't have it. They treated me like that having PPD was a choice which I know it is NOT!! I wasted a lot of time being sad/angry/scared/confused/guilty and etc. Once I finally got hte help I needed I felt so much better. I can enjoy life and my Children enjoy life much more now that Mommy feels better. Please get treated for this sweetie. You will be so glad that you did.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• post partum depression runs in my family so as a precaution i was on a low dose antidepressant while i was pregnant. completely safe, but i got hit with it hard. my son is 3 and im still struggling with it but also still seeing a counslor.
    AIDEN032807

Comment by AIDEN032807 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I had it for about a year. It was really hard because my mom kept telling me that I didn't have anything, and that I just felt sad bc I had nothing to do. I had plenty to do and no matter what I did I was always feeling horrible.
    I tried to keep busy, find new activities, go out with friends.nothing helped. It got to the point where I came very close to hurting my child and killing myself.
    I don't know what your belief system is, but what helped me was God. I asked him for help, told him I couldn't continue like that and he delivered me from it.it didn't happen overnight but I am now healed,I love my child and am no longer binded by guilt.
    To this day, my mother still ridicules me for what I went through and says that PPD doesn't exist. I have forgiven her for that as well, after all she doesn't know what I went through :)
    my_monkey_baby

Answer by my_monkey_baby at 2:12 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I have had 4 pregnancies and first 3 no issues but the last one, a twin pregnancy, I had major PPD. I was really messed up hormonally after their birth. I was never diagnosed and I even went to a therapist. I would get really down and even suicidal. I tried to hide it from everyone but hubby. I thought I'd lost my mind a few days. But then one day after the babies turned 1 and I stopped breastfeeding, I just felt better. It was like it all was lifted and I felt stronger and more capable of dealing with things. I wish I'd been dignosed. My husband was an angel during that time. He supported me and loved me and took care of me. Ijust keep in mind it will get better. Take it easy.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2010