Any advise about lice would be greatly appreciated-help me please

my daughter is 2 and she got lice from someone at her daycare. I noticed it saturday and treated her and was pretty sure i got it all. Today my step mom said she saw some nits in her hair. I bought non toxic over the counter stuff and she had a terrible allergic reaction to it. Ive done, mayonaise, vinegar, and tea tree oil and I need more adivise. After I got the non toxic stuff out of her hair, I saw a ton of newly hatched lice. She was tired and screaming and Ive cried and cried for having to do this to her. Im at my wits end and I really need some advise. Im taking the day off tomorrow to treat her and get my house deep cleaned. Please any advise, please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would make sure that EVERYWHERE she is, daycare,home, car, etc is cleaned really good! Make sure the daycare has cleaned everything she comes in contact with!! Also her car seat, blankets, clothes, everything her hair comes in contact with! Lice live in carpets, blankets and will keep coming back unless you kill the eggs that are living in those areas. I would stick with using tea tree oil to kill the lice in her hair! You might have to apply it several times to get it all out, but it is much better than using toxic stuff on her that could cause cancer!

My daughter got it in 1st grade and she got it twice! I had to reapply the tea tree oil several times to get it all out and gone! I also washed everything in a special detergent that has tea tree oil in it!
    browneyedmommy

Answer by browneyedmommy at 9:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Mix mineral oil (Johnson's baby oil) and vinegar. Coat the hair with the mixture and wrap her head with a towel. Leave it on for at least an hour. Comb through with a nit comb to remove the dead lice and nits.
    I used to run a home day care and this is what I used for the kids. It worked pretty good.
    Make sure you treat bedding and stuffed animals etc. You can throw them in the dryer for a half hour or seal them in plastic bags for a week - or both just to be safe. Good luck.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• here's what my mom did for me,
    she mixed, 20 drops tea tree oil, 20 drops eucyliptis (spelling) oil, and 20 drops lavender oil, and mixed it with 1/2c vodka make sure her eyes are covered and you put it in her hair and cover with saran wrap for 20mins then wash completly but DON'T do this if she's got sores from scratching
    also what you can do after that or instead, blend the same oils as before but instead of vodka, mix 1/2 olive oil, put in her hair, wrap with saran wrap and leave in 20-30mins, wash out this one sooths the skin, plus all of the above makes the hair really really shiny and soft also you could put some of the oil mixture in her shampoo...to help keep the little buggers away
    also wash everything she's come in contact with...and you can put the oil mix in a spray bottle with a little bit of water and spray all her bedding, everything
    that's what my mom did for me when I was little...
    hope that helps
    Allikats-momma

Answer by Allikats-momma at 9:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• tea tree oil works really good. When i was in like 1st grade all the kids in school got it and thats what we did was put tea tree oil in our hair for bout an hour with a towl or sshower cap on then rinse it with warm water and use a lice comb. and make sure you wash EVERYTHING and soak all you combs and brushes in bleach or throw them away .
    Anonymous

• Yup, welcome to the club! I've been dealing with lice for a week now and still can't get all the darned nits out! At the advice of someone on her tonight, I'm trying some hair oil (Biosilk) instead of baby oil.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Try using Olive Oil....put it on dry hair, let sit for about an hour or so, comb out with the metal lice comb, wash hair with normal shampoo (no conditioner) 2-3 times. When hair is dry comb through again with the metal lice comb. Look through hair for any left over nits. Bag in plastic garbage bags all toys that are material for 30 days. Wash all bedding in hot water and dry in dryer on high heat. Vacum all furniture and mattress. Also vacum your car and seats, and if you can remove the car seat cover wash it or vacum it. I have 10 kids and 20 grandkids, I have dealt with this alot...if you need any more help please pm me. It can be time consuming, but you MUST make sure to get all nits out of her hair, nits will hatch in 3 weeks, but you can't say when it was laid.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Oh one more thing, you can either boil all combs, brushes, and hair ties....or you can run them through the dishwasher.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• tea tree oil is supposed to work well for just about everything...there is tons of online info and books out there that give all sorts of guidelines and what not for how to use essential oils...the book that i have lists eucalypus, geranium, lavandar, pine or rosemary...apply to feet and scalp 3 times a day...i dont know for how long though...the important thing is to get good oils and not just some crappy knock off
    phoenix7

Answer by phoenix7 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Comb, Comb, Comb, Comb and comb some more with one of those metal lice combs. Also vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Your car, furniture, pretty much the whole house.  My daughter had them once.  I shampooed her hair with that lice shampoo, then I combed her hair for six hours a night with one of those metal combs for a week.  Also I vacuumed all the carpets, furniture, ect and washed her pillows and bedding every day.  They were gone in a week and she never had them again.  If you are not vigilant about getting all of the eggs out, you will never get rid of them.  Also keep a cup of very hot, almost boiling,  water near you when you comb, to dip the comb in after each time you comb with it.  That way, whatever you comb out will die in the hot water and will be released from the comb, so you can't re-contaminate the hair with it. 

Anonymous

• Saturate her hair with olive oil; make sure to comb it through her hair completely. Wrap her head in a plastic shower cap and keep it on overnite. Makes the removal much easier the next day. Wash and repeat until all the bugs/eggs are gone.
    Anonymous