what are your household rules? here are what were thinking about... what do you think?

ok, so my dh and i have been talking for awhile about getting on the same page about rules for aidan... well, the boys really, as caleb is getting biger each day, so i finally am having us get some rules... i had been a 'single parent' for so long, that i am not used to sharing the rulemaking process... and, as cassi pointed out, i have a hard tiem with consistency, so we decided it was time..... i also babysit so the rules will apply to them as well..... here is a rough draft... let me know what you think...some are rules i put down, some are his

no jumping, climbing, standing on furniture

must keep cloths on

no drinks past 7 30

all snacks in dining room

no alternit meals

not alloud in kitchen

no throwing

toys that arnt shared, get taken away

baths between 6 30 and 7 pm

no means no

no touching computers, cell phones, or re

ariesp19

Asked by ariesp19 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• Sounds good to me, except when is bedtime? :)
    Anonymous

• That sounds pretty good and reasonable to me =] Do you have a list of consequences in varying severity for what happens if the rules get broken?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Those are some great rules. The key is to stick by them though. Be tough momma! you and your hubby can do it!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• we have a bed time, 8 everynight(been doing that for awhile)sept movie night once a month(till they get older, then once a week)and we 3 leavles of diciplin... after that, were not sure, maybe bed time....(like an extra nap or early to bed)
    ariesp19

Answer by ariesp19 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• my dh and i decided to do this cause we need to get on the same page, and be consistant... meaning, same rules daily, same diciplins daily..... thats something i really need to work on.. same with jeremy, on the same levles of dicipline.... also, this way be both agree on rules... and if one of us wants to add a rule, then we have to sit and discuss it... when the boys get older, after daddy and i have, we will sit them down and have a discusion with them.... this way there is no 'mommy lets me'
    ariesp19

Answer by ariesp19 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I have rules posted in the kids (all boys) bathroom. they are: 1. DON'T PEE ON THE FLOOR! 2. Put the cap back on the toothpaste 3. Wipe up the floor after you shower 4. Hang up your towel 5. Put your dirty laundry in the hamper 6. Don't leave the soap in the bottom of the tub 7. Straighten the rugs before you leave 8. FLUSH!! They really don't get punnished for not following them. Just posted as a reminder. General house rules include, no slamming doors. No food or drinks in their bedrooms. Eat what I make for dinner or be hungry. No throwing rocks (outside but very important rule!) They usually get sent to their rooms for a while for breaking rules.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Here are a few of mine.....If your clothes can't make it to the laundry basket they do not get washed. If you can't put your dishes in the kitchen then don't eat. If I say do something just DO IT! No food or drinks in bedroom. I can't think of them all right now and literally just to lazy to get up and get my paper right now LOL I just got done cleaning my day is OVER,
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Word of advice: Don't make bedtime a punishment! Then your children will never want to go to bed cause they will think that they are always being punished.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anonymous. I don't think bedtime should be used as a punishment. You have to be careful with things like that. It can also cause sleep issues later in life. Also, if they go all day without breaking a rule, maybe give them a reward, such as extra play time or something like that. Using positive reinforcement along with discipline usually works better. I think you're both off to a great start!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• he gets hot wheals when he gets a treat... he loves those...
    thanks about the sleep thing... i did not think of that....
    he may get a treat, but not everyday hes good, cause i do not want him to start expecting a treat... he should be good no mater what... but i will everyonce in awhile... just like in the past...
    ariesp19

Answer by ariesp19 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2008