Do you believe that some people know when they are going to die?

The week before my father died, he told my mother that he wished that they had more time together. Has anyone said anything similar to you?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes I think some do. My SIL was up at her parents house because her mother was dying, she got up in the night to check on her mom and found her dad holding her hand and they both had passed.

Her dad had terrible emphysema and couldn't breath at all, no one knows how he lived so long in the advanced stages of the disease, but it was his job to take of his wife who had severe Parkinson's. I can't understand how he cared for her, she couldn't move on her own and he couldn't breath after taking just a few steps or standing up from a sitting position. He wouldn't let anyone else care for her though.

When his wife was passing he said he was ready too, that night they both died of natural causes after long illnesses, sitting side by side holding hands.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:37 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes, I firmly believe some do.

Experiences...a lady I used to babysit for, her mother said an evening prayer(regular routine for her and her hubby right before bed) and she asked for her family to have strength with what was to come and some other eery things and she was dead in the morning when her husband woke up.

My moms best friends husband took his wife out to dinner and started explaining how his business worked and how to run it and spent hours doing that with her which was something he had never even attempted before nor had she asked. Just wasnt something she felt the need to know,etc. He was killed the next day in a bad trucking accident.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:59 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes, I do think some people know when their time is coming. When my grandfather died, in the days leading up to his death he talked privately to everyone who was close to him and told us what he wanted to tell us. He knew he was terminally ill but was expected to live for several more months. Somehow he knew he was out of time and said his goodbyes to us all. When my grandmother died, she was in hospital due to a chronic illness. She was not expected to die imminently. My dad visited the night before and when he was leaving he said he would see her tomorrow, and she said "I won't be here tomorrow." She was right- she passed away shortly before midnight.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When a cat knows they are going to die they will go off by themselves... Many animals will. I don't know why people wouldn't be the same way. I think for SOME OF US our death is fated, it's prewritten, and I would think those people have an easier time sensing their time. With others I would think it's not so easy... For those who are ill, I would think, yes, they know it's coming, but so does everyone else...

So, I guess I think it varies from person to person...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i totally believe that!

my dad got up and told us .. well todays the day .. all day he told me how much he loved me and i wasnt to foget that .. he died on the evening of 20sep 2000 .. luv and miss u always dad
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I know people that died but didn't really have a connection with them, some I haven't seen or spoken to in along time so to me it hasn't really hit me that there dead, it's like not talking to them for a while. My first born twin son passed away over a year ago and I wish I would have been able to talk to him, I never even got to hear him cry, he had a breathing tube down his throat. I don't know when I'm going to die and certainly hope it wont be until I have atleast raised my children, Until there old enough to really take care of themselves.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes some people know when it's their time. I have no first hand experience, but have heard tons of stories like your example.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:19 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My cousin who was 17 (I was 16 at the time) who had muscular dystrophy had a dream of Christ coming to his bedside the night before he passed away.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• some people that are deathly sick know in a weird way they are going to die some people are in denial until some one close to them does pass and then it effects them worse takes them longer to heal mentally and some people that prepare for a loved ones death either don't mourn right away or some not at all been there done that...
    QuEeN_bEe_03

Answer by QuEeN_bEe_03 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2010