BEST REWARDS FOR POTTY TRAINING

SHOULD I GET A SEAT FOR THE TOILET OR A ON THE FLOOR POTTY.AND WHAT KIND OF REWARDS WERE BEST FOR YOU?

Gemma G.

Asked by Gemma G. at 12:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my girls we did both, had a little potty and a seat for the toilet. I would say you NEED the seat for the toilet, it helps them not be afraif of falling in. We used marshmellows for rewards, it was quick and easy. Regular sized marshmellows.
    1 for - pp in the potty
    2 for - pp in the potty and dry pants
    5 for - poop in the potty
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 12:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• dd has an on the floor potty right now. it makes it easier because we keep it in whatever room we're in at the time. so if she needs to go, she sees it, and goes in it. if she had to remember to go to the bathroom, it'd take longer to train her. reward wise, she loves getting to carry her potty to flush it, washing her hands, and sometimes she gets half a small reeses. not every time (though she got them more often at first), but whenever she remembers, she gets one for sure. other than that, making a big fuss when she goes, telling her what a big girl she is. that kind of thing. I think she's to little to really get a sticker chart, but they can work really well, too.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 12:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Jelly beans
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 12:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Quarters worked great for us... Pull-up was dry DS got a quarter.... pull up was wet he owned us one... took three days and he was in underwear!!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Potty on the floor so it's something special just for him/her. Do not use candy as rewards- that is not what you want your child to associate pooping and peeing for. I tried m&m's per my pediatricians advice- then my son wanted one every time he tried, then he'd "try" every 10 minutes.....Put them in underwear, say uh oh when an accident happens and remind them that 'it' belongs in the potty, have them help clean up a little so they see it as cause and effect- pooping in a potty doesn't require much icky cleanup.... I did this after three days of m&m training...my son at 2 yrs 6 months was trained in two weeks time!! The first day alone he peed in his undies 3 times, and the fourth time he ran for the potty chair- which we put it in the living room during the day instead of down our 25ft long hall! LOL the fifth time and beyond that first day he made it every time!! Rewards given- LOTS of hugs, kisses and high fives!!
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We had a potty on the floor for my older 2 kids. We did the sticker chart and it worked very well. They were excited to put the sticker on the chart. On occasion they wanted it on their hand and that worked well too. We did have to "upgrade" with ds cuz he refused to poop in the potty. So if he pooped in the potty he got a special toy (little canister of play dough, hot wheels car, etc - something cheap). Unfortunately that didn't work - he would still go hide in a corner to poop!! So I took his undies off him when I knew it was time for him to go. I read it somewhere that it worked, so I thought I'd give it a try. He ran to hide in my bedroom, realized he was naked, held his little butt and said "uh oh!" and ran back to the bathroom to go. He was totally potty trained from that day forward. It is nearly time to start my 2 year old and I am hoping it will be an easy thing, since he sees all of us going. Crossing fingers!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 7, 2010