Is there a way that i can check dialation on my own?

last night went to the hospital with mild contractions and i was 80% effaced and 2 cintimeters is there a way to see for myself if i have dialated further?

kstills

Asked by kstills at 12:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, and I wouldn't recommend it. You might wind up hurting yourself or introducing bacteria into the birth canal.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No. It's hard to feel your cervix when not pregnant. When 9 mo pregnant it can be impossible to feel your cervix. Even if you could it takes experience to know what you are feeling and how to tell how many cm you are. You also risk infection. The doctor should tell you when to go to the hospital.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:48 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• There are people who check themselves or have their spouse check them so, yes there is a way. HOWEVER, I do not recommend it. You can cause more harm than good. You can cause an infection, hurt the baby or cause other complications. If you are contracting then go to the Hospital. Otherwise, just wait for Labor to start. I know it's hard to wait but I would not recommend trying to check yourself.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• lol~ Of course you can! Women do this all the time.
    You are MUCH less likely to hurt yourself than the doctor is~
    And your washed hands are as clean as anyone else's...

But don't give the findings too much value--
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If you wash your hands well, they are probably cleaner than anything at the doctor office or hospital.

You probably won't be able to reach it though.... Get arm around belly, then all the way up there. Plus, if you could feel it, the info really means nothing. You could be dilated to an 8 and be that way for days.

Your best bet is to take this time to do something useful, like freeze a bunch of meals. You get to have a baby soon!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Sure! It's called masturbate! XD

Sorry, I'm in a seriously wacky mood.

Seriously, though, I agree with @rhianna. The docs know what they're doing when they check you plus they wear gloves. You don't want to accidentally get bacteria in there or anything like @rhianna said. Just pay attention to the timing and lengths of your contractions. Typically from what I understand, you don't really have to worry about going to the hospital til they're about 5 mins apart and are becoming more uncomfortable than you can deal with.

Trust your instincts, though. If you feel like you need to call your Dr sooner, then do so. Good luck! *crosses fingers for you*

And seriously, I hope I didn't offend with the snarky joke at the beginning of this answer. I was just hoping to make you laugh a little bit. Good luck with everything, hon, and keep us posted! :-D
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't recommend it if there was a way...... Be careful.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:24 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You can, my OB told me I could. I didn't because what's the point? I walked around at 5 cm for 2 days with my 2nd child...really means nothing, you could go into full blown labor in 5 minutes or a week...lol.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 2:09 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Of course you can! It's not like it is a secret only OB's and Midwives know about.
    Check out this website.
    http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/cervix-dilation.html

Women should learn more about how their body works! Good for you!.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You can but there's really no point. Dilation has absolutely no bearing on when you will go into full blown labor. You could be dilated to a 6 and not have that baby for another 2 weeks!

You would only be risking introducing bacteria.

BUT if you really want to there's nothing really wrong with it. You are MUCH LESS likely to hurt yourself than you your doctor is because you can FEEL it and it would be VERY difficult to injure your child because you will have a hard enough time reaching yourself as it is.
    katelingerum88

Answer by katelingerum88 at 3:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2010