Seriously?!?!

Taken from another question, I am absolutely appauled that so many people use candy as a reward for potty training!! Since when are hugs and kisses and positive praise not enough?!?! It's worked wonders for my two that are trained. My next will be 2 in January but she's already shown interest and successfully pooped in the potty on her own. She's quite content with the high fives and praise from me, Daddy and her big brother and sister--I am not however training her because she is simply too little. So- my question and be honest!! What did you use to encourage or reward your child during those potty training days?!?!

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• We just did the happy potty dance !! No stickers or candy for my kids.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son is too young. But they are training my niece who is soon to be 3. And they are using stickers and books. O and big girl panties. We are so not into giving candy or food at all as rewards. That promotes obesity.
    mama2zack

Answer by mama2zack at 12:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Every child and parenting style is different.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• For my son we made it a game. I would keep one of those mini boxes of Cheerios cereal in the bathroom and I'd drop a cheerio in the toilet and he'd try to aim for it and sink it. If he did it he'd get so excited. LOL... ahh... memories! :)
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I did stickers and praise and stuff, the hardest thing for my daughter was to poop in the potty, she'd poop in her room and try to hide it so it was a HUGE deal when she finally went poop we took her to the store and let her get anything she wanted, she picked m&m's. But we didn't reward her with candy every time, we let her put her Princess stickers on the toilet seat every time she went and she would not let us forget either. Then we made it a point to tell everyone who visited and she'd know we were talking about her and when they'd ask her she would smile very big and say yes, she was proud then would show us how she could go to the bathroom all by herself.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:56 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• hugs and kisses don't always work on a 17 month old. however, an occasional tangible reward does. I don't give her candy every time she uses the potty, that's way too much, but she got a bite of a reeses for her first pee in the potty today. I really don't think that's teaching her that using the bathroom is a good way to get sugar. call me crazy if you want. usually she doesn't even remember that she could have gotten a treat. getting to turn the light off in the bathroom totally makes her day.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:03 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't understand why other moms have to be so judgmental of other parents' approaches to things. Heck, we bribed our kids with Chuck E Cheese. Yes, praises and hugs & kisses are fine... but what's wrong with rewarding them with material things? We were so proud of our oldest two when they were finally potty trained (We made them go a month with no accidents before we took them), that we HAD to do something special for them. My son trained almost overnight. One morning, I just said "Caleb, you're not going to wear diapers anymore. You know how to go on the potty, so you need to wear big boy underwear". We went to the store, let him pick out some big boy underoos. He has not had an accident to this day (18 months later). I don't force my kids to potty train, I feel they'll go when they are ready... so why not reward them with something special? I don't see anything wrong with it.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We dont do it, but it really is not that big of a deal! Lay off of it! One M&M is not going to klill the kid!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't see the big deal. I'm sure it's not a handful of candy these parents are giving their LO's. I don't get why you are so appalled at what another parent does. If that's what it takes to get their child to use the potty, so be it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Oh, and I started training him at 18 months old...so alert the potty-training police, okay?
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2010