i have four cats and have always had cats since i was like born haha well my husband is anti cats so i have always been the one to take care of them like cleaning litter etc well would have already been infected with the toxoplamosis thing.. what i am trying to say do you think i am probably imune to it??

btw i am over 8 weeks preg and kinda worried about it, he also wont clean it whe nhe is home and is in the navy so he is gone alot,

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pets

• ok you are imune to the toxo plasmosis but thats not what your doc is worried about - its the amonia in their urin - if you HAVE to change it (which he needs to be a man and do it for you) wear disposable gloves and a disposable face mask and wash your hands and arms afterward
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I would talk to your OB or midwife.. They say its a no-no to clean the boxes, maybe you could buy a self cleaning one, i know they make those.
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 8:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I have cats of my own, and I would just make sure to wear gloves and wash my hands thouroughly since you have no other option, but self cleaning boxes are so wonderful!!! Litter maid self cleaning boxes are about $50 and it scoops it right into a box you never have to touch it...
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• It isn't something that you can become imune to. It is like a virus I do belive. I would invest in a little maid and see if your hubbie would be willing to take care of the litter maid to protect you and the baby. I would also talk to your OB about the chance of getting it if you were to wear a mask and gloves when you cleaned out the litter maid..Hope that helps!
    PennyMom

Answer by PennyMom at 8:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Maybe you can have bloodwork done to see if you've been exposed to it? I had two while single and pregnant....so I had to clean it on my own. All I did was wear gloves and a mask while scooping it. Then wash hands thoroughly. You should be fine.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I wouldn't risk it... could you pay the neighbor kid a few bucks to change it for you?
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• If he's absolutely 100% against it, I'd just buy a box of disposable gloves (walmart) and do it really quick like every other day or so. Be sure to wash any part of your skin that touched the pan.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I was told by my doctor to just make sure and wash my hands well after changing the litter box
    Rhonda5868

Answer by Rhonda5868 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2008