help!! "binkie" problem

my 3 year old son still uses a pacifier. we have cut back on it but we give in when he is upset and for naps and bedtime still. but any suggestions on how to get rid of it? forever lol

AIDEN032807

Asked by AIDEN032807 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Toss it in the trash immediately, and any others you have. They'll be gone forever unless you buy more! =)

If he were a baby weaning off might be possible, but he's old enough to where he really NEEDS to get off of it.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It's a security issue...does he have a fav stuffed animal or a fav blanket..try coaxing him to use that instead
    SusanRobi

Answer by SusanRobi at 1:08 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Cut the rubber part completely off and throw it away. That way you won't be tempted to go get it and give it back out of desperation!! Follow your normal routine at bedtime and walkout of the room. It's tough for a few days for you, but you have to remember crying is not going to hurt him. Letting him cry for a little while for a few nights is far better than him having dental problems in a couple years...... It's not that bad!! Just get rid of it and move on. If he gets out of bed, just put him back- no loves or hugs, no talking or eye contact- worked in two nights with my daughter when she was only 18 months old. Every ten minutes of crying I'd go tuck her back in- she was still in a crib though. :) By night three she was out in about five minutes with no crying. Good Luck
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 1:08 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• he has both blankie and annimal. he is my one and only. its so hard to see him cry... and doesnt help when grandparents give in and spouse as well..... ahhhhhhh
    AIDEN032807

Comment by AIDEN032807 (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son never took to a pacifier, so I don't have first hand experience, but from talking to other parents, I heard that having a "ceremony" of sorts works with some kids. Have him put the pacifiers in a bag for the trash, or in a plastic bag to "give" to needy children somewhere else, and then tell him that he's a big boy now and big boys don't use pacifiers, but that you are so proud of him for either throwing the pacifiers away, or giving them away, whichever way you decide to go. When he asks for one at bedtime, you just remind him calmly that he was such a big boy and got rid of the pacifiers and that you are proud of him. Hopefully, that will keep him from getting too upset. Expect a couple rough bedtimes until he gets used to it.

Maybe try a blanket or a favorite toy for him to cuddle up with at bedtime? Maybe a little replacement would help.

Good luck to both of you!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 1:10 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son was the same way. I first cut out his nap "paci" and the night time was the last to go. But I would sit in his room till he would go to sleep. That was the only way he would go to sleep w/out it is if I stayed in his room.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 1:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Then just throw the binkies away. ALL of them! If this pattern continues he's likely to end up with some very unpleasant dental trips in a few years.

But I don't agree with Kari, it's probably going to take longer than three days to break your child of this habit. Normally with adults it takes 21 days, so I'd say closer to a week or two and he should be over this.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:13 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Uh, why not let him give it up on his own? I know many kids that had it round the clock and still gave it up before they were in Kindergarten.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:18 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would talk with him about giving it up and come up with some reward for giving it up willingly.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• But I don't agree with Kari, it's probably going to take longer than three days to break your child of this habit. Normally with adults it takes 21 days, so I'd say closer to a week or two and he should be over this.

I wasn't saying her kid would be over in it 3 days, I said that my child was. Any habitual change with my children- even potty training only took two weeks. Kids are far more resilient than we give them credit for. But do you really want your child having a binky problem when he's 4- going to preschool and fighting and wanting his binky there?? Just get rid of it. It's NOT that big of a deal and letting him cry it out for a few nights won't hurt him- The reason it doesn't take kids 21 days to break a habit like it does adults, is because we more conciously think about what we're quitting- kids forget. It's like taking a toy away- he may scream, but eventually he's gonna forget why and give up. Stop babying him.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 7:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2010