My baby can read.....

So, I'm curious to know how many mom's out there have used this program??

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 1:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I taught young children for thirty four years. Any program that promises to teach toddlers to read, in my view, is inappropriate and a scam.  Toddlers should not be subjected to a formal reading program. The most important thing you can do is to read to your child every night and make it an enjoyable experience. Include reading nursery rhymes and children's poetry. Children who can't rhyme can't read, and what separates children who read well from those who don't is language development. Learning should be part of daily living. Talk to your child. "I'm putting on your red dress." "Here are your blue socks." Notice size, and shape of things. Take your child to a farm, a firehouse, the zoo, a children's museum. Give him/her a variety of experiences. Children learn best by doing. wwwfiledby.com/author/linda_griffin/127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 10:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• its not reading, its memorizing the organization of the letters and associating it to a particular sound. If you were to take the word apple and show it to your baby several times a day and say "peach" they would associate the written word "apple" for the spoken word "peach". In the English language it is essential to learn phonics. The "rules" to our written and spoken language. Its a code.. but if you teach your child reading by "sight" they will have to re learn phonics and I imagine that may cause issues in the long run. Besides, babies need to be babies, instead of trying to "teach" them to read, snuggle them in your lap and read to them. Their emotional and social development should be the focus of their learning at these young ages.. and the best way to do that.. is to just love on them and play with them.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think it's a waste of money, it's memorization. We teach phonics. :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I find it appauling. Baby's are supposed to be growing and learning fine motor skills and walking and talking, they don't NEED to know how to read in any form and I've always heard that children that learn to read too young end up with digestion problems later in life....recently found out that my mom was taught to read by 3 yrs old...she has had horrible horrible bowel problems for the last ten years...
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• it does not teach children how to read. its ROTE learning. see and respond . the babies dont actually READ the word. they have been TRAINED to recognize that CLAP they clap thier hands.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:20 AM on Sep. 7, 2010