What non cash offsets do you find most valuable?

What home activity do you do that is worth the most cash wise? Gardening, couponing, home repair, cutting hair, cooking from scratch, thrift store clothes shopping....? I'm trying to figure the best bang for the buck activities, so that if I do get work part time, I'll know what to drop first. Thanks.

oddfox

Asked by oddfox at 1:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Cooking at home is definitely valuable, thrift store clothes shopping is great (good quality clothes as they don't sell things that aren't in good condition, name brand for less than half the price??? Yes please!)
    I do everything I can to save money, even when I have a few extra bucks to "waste" I don't spend it.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Shop at stores like save-a-lot or Aldi's for groceries, work really hard at comparing prices. Keep track of 'junk' you buy like sodas, fast food on the go, other impulse items. DON'T shop when you're hungry or when you're depressed. Coupons help, but make sure you are only using the ones you need, not the ones you don't.
    .JessicaRabbit.

Answer by .JessicaRabbit. at 1:42 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Oh, mint.com is a great tool for budgeting! It's completely free and secure, hubby and I have been using it for a few months to stay on track and it works very well! It's great for showing you where you spend your money and what areas you need to work on!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Cooking from scratch, shopping for bargains, learning to do our own auto repairs (unless it's a major thing) and auto maintenance are probably the most valuable things we do to save us money, and ones that I wouldn't give up even if I had a full time job. Other things I do are make crafts to sell, decorate cakes to sell, gardening and canning, making gifts, and simple home repairs.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand you question. Are you asking which activity generates the most money?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thanks for all your feedback. I was thinking "hourly wage" equivalents, so car repair is way up there. (Sadly, that's one thing neither of us can do.) Basic electrical, plumbing, painting, house or appliance repair are others. We've done those. Water bath canning not as much savings but freezing would be faster so it would work out to be a better "wage". Raised bed gardening isn't bad timewise, but living near a farming area, it might be just as cheap to buy bushels at auction. We're considering our gift list, not that we spend much, but it is time consuming looking for really great bargains or making things that they would like within our budget. (DH has a large family.) Thanks for letting me bounce ideas off a bunch of like minded individuals.
    oddfox

Comment by oddfox (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010