MY THREE YEAR OLD IS VERY JELIOUS OF HER NEW BROTHER HE'S 9 MONTHS OLD AND SHE KEEPS HURTING HIM NOT BAD BUT HE STILL CRIES BUT WHEN I TRY TO PUNISH HER SHE CRIES AND TELLS ME THAT I YELLED AT HER OR THAT I MADE HER SAD AND I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE PUNISHMENT

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR ADVISE WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Keep up the punishment! Trust me, she's realized what gets her out of the punishment, and is using it against you. I have a 6 year old that I never stuck to punishments b/c of that exact thing...and I'm ripping my hair out trying to get his tail back in line!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 9:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• you are being manipulated.
    she needs attention from you, postitive attention.
    and when she's bad, she needs you to correct her, consistantly.
    you are training her that all she has to do to get out of trouble is cry enough.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I agree with the above answer......kids are very smart and if we are not careful our children will manipulate us.....it's just part of being a kid and needed our parents for direction
    ronronsbeauty

Answer by ronronsbeauty at 8:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• No matter how hard it hurts YOUR feelings, this discipline will help her to become a responsible adult someday. We are raising adults, NOT children! My daughter is 4 1/2 and cries when she gets time-out too. We have gone through phases with her hurting the dog, screaming so loud that the neighbors called the cops (and the situation was that she was in bed and didn't want to be so she decided to scream bloody murder). We also went through a phase where Ava would steal! I have feelings too, and I sometimes didn't want to hurt her feelings however,I am happy say that with using "1,2,3 Magic" and Time Outs , Ava has gotten over all of these phases. She still cries when she doesn't get her way..and usually it's a "fake" cry, but she is a respectful child and very kind to animals, doesn't scream, and doesn't even sneak/steak snacks or candy from us! (let alone the store that she stole from a few months ago!)
    SparkleSpice

Answer by SparkleSpice at 1:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Boy, she's got your number. They really know how to stick it to us don't they. Sometimes you have to secretly admire their ability to get their way. Let her know it is never ok for her to hurt YOUR baby. She may feel he's her possession to do with what she likes, help her understand she is separate from him, and he is just as much yours as she is yours. Explain to her that just like you wouldn't let anyone hurt her, you will not let anyone, including her, hurt him. Do not give in to the tears when she is WRONG. It does not help her. You made her sad?! She made you and the baby sad, because she hurt him.
    juicepluskids

Answer by juicepluskids at 8:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2008