I just found one of my bras and a thong under my 6-year-old son's bed. adult content

He locks the door behind him and won't say anything to me about what he's doing. What do I do?? What is he doing with my stuff? I never change clothes in front of him or be naked in front of him.

dainsmom

Asked by dainsmom at 1:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You need to sit down with him and ask him why he had these under your bed. Depending on the reason, you may need to get him into some counseling...
    MoM.i.aM

Answer by MoM.i.aM at 1:48 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• He is a curious 6 year old. What does he watch on TV, the media in todays culture bring to insights to those little spongie minds. I wouldn't make a big deal about it. Just let him know, that it is not ok to go through your drawers.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 1:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Maybe he's just curious. Try to talk to him about it; don't be mad, don't accuse him of anything, just sit down with him and try to have an open conversation with him about why he feels the need to take your clothes.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• take the lock if that becomes a persistant issue, as for the missing lingerie, just tell him that they are yours and you need them. Kids wanna be like their moms and dads- he probably just doesn't get what they're for or something. Theres a lot to consider on how to approach this, but just stay calm and let him do the talking.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 1:57 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• maybe they're soft. Mine enjoys my silky clothes just for how they feel. You won't know until you talk to him.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 1:57 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• He shouldn't have a lock on his door.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My children have locks on their doors and that is fine! It gives them their own personal time! If I deserve my own free time and my own space then shouldnt my children? Why take that away from them? Taking the lock off his door isnt going to solve anything!!! If it does become a problem though, make sure that rules are involved! My kids arent allowed to lock me or my husband out, if they do, the lock gets removed for X amount of days. As far as taking your stuff- Kids get curious, maybe he is curious as to what they are or how they are worn. Maybe they look silly to him since his underwear arent fancy like yours might be! I wouldnt freak out though... I would just sit down with him calmly and ask him whats up? ask him what he is doing with them, like other moms suggested, dont accuse him of anything! My kids know that they can talk to me about anything, they know Im always here for them! :) Good luck!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Sorry I meant to write.... that because I talk to my kids openly and since I dont accuse them or get upset at them, I listen and try and understand... that is why they know they can talk to me about anything.... that is why they know Im always here for them! I think that if you just have open communication with them and listen to them, it will help out in the future when you have bigger fish to fry!

sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I totally agree with Gailll! At 6yrs old, you don't even KNOW ENOUGH to NEED "Private Time"! Sweetie, you need to face the fact that your 6yr old may very well be jacking off to your undies! Children are becoming more sexually active at younger and younger ages every day. Does that mean he wants to have sex with his Mom? NO! It just means that he's a BOY and right now (if his little hormones are cranking up) Mommy's is the only GIRL stuff around. Hell, my 7yr old boy has recently started trying to catch me naked! It went on as some accidental stuff the first few X's, then when I caught on to what it was he was attempting to do, I simply made sure I didn't give him the opportunity. Locking doors when I'm in the shower, etc. He's an early bloomer, cool. Just treat him like a person, don't make him feel bad. Confronting the boy will embarrass him like no body's business! Mom's understand everything!
    Dmommy4

Answer by Dmommy4 at 4:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• "At 6yrs old, you don't even KNOW ENOUGH to NEED "Private Time"!" - That's not true. DO some research.... it's totally normal at any age!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2010