Tips on surviving the first 6 months as a new mom?

I would say the first 6 mos are the hardest since your baby is not quite mobile on his/her own yet. I'm putting together an article on tips on how moms make it through the first 6 mos. What better than getting advice from other moms that have been there!

I have a 3 year old, but I want to hear what worked for other moms.

Thanks for your help!

ElianaOwens

Asked by ElianaOwens at 2:01 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleep when the baby sleeps. Pack extra pumped milk. Always carry a burp cloth. Breastfeeding isn't easy, it is a learned process for mom and baby and totally worth the effort. It is ok for the baby to cry. Corn starch is the best diaper rash medicine/
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 2:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The first six months were relatively easy, it's after they turn one that is difficult!!!

But some advice: sleep when the baby sleeps (even though you feel like nothing gets done if you don't do laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc while the baby is sleeping; I don't know any moms who took naps at the same time as their babies)
    Try to go out just with your husband (or SO) at least once every two weeks (even though I couldn't leave my DD alone for more than an hour for the first few months because I missed her)

...Yeah, lol
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Try to schedule with someone to help you (who you dearly trust) or your s/o to help you with the baby while you go get time for yourself (besides sleeping when baby sleeps) like once a week or whenever!
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 2:10 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would say...cuddle with them as much as possible, when I was stressed out, I could hold my sleeping child and all my worries melted away! This is a big one---> ASK YOUR SPOUSE FOR HELP... they arent mind readers (although sometimes I wish my hubby was) LOL I remember thinking 'why isnt he helping out'... well.... its cause he thought I could do it all! LOL... Give your hubby things to do that would help ease your load and take naps whenever possible! ASK others for help too.... grandparents love to babysit! Remember to also take time for yourself and for your relationship... get a sitter and go out every once in a while!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Have a support group- other mom's with more experience and multiple kids, a good relationship with your own mom if applicable, and a GREAT Pediatrician. My Ped was a doctor because he loves what he does- OB/GYN with specialty for C-sections and GP/pediatrics. So we all saw him and he got to know us all personally. He is also a PARENT which made all the difference. When we moved, our new Ped had just finished school and she was totally by the book- no kids, no husband- I'm sorry but a pediatrician with no kids is like a a mechanic that doesn't own a car.....Experience is 90% of what we learn! LOL :)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 2:12 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Make time for yourself! You can't be a happy, completely dedicated Mommy if you don't make time for yourself to stay sane, even if it's just 10 extra minutes standing in the shower, take time for yourself!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 2:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Don't lose yourself, put on a little bit of make up to get you through the day so you can feel good, and not feel like crap even if it's just lip gloss or a little eyeshadow or even some mascara.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Charge admission to see the baby: A chore or a casserole, unless the visitor is too young or too old to do either.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010