What would you do for childcare?

DH and I are trying to figure out what we will do for childcare when our first child is born. My position has me on call 24 hours a day Monday through Friday and some weekends. DH's job requires him to be out of town 10 days a month. We have contemplated a few ideas. We could have one person quit their job and stay at home and we would live paycheck to paycheck but could probably make enough to survive. We could try and find a live in nanny which we might be able to afford or might not. We're not sure if anyone would be an on call babysitter in that kind of situation but that would be the most affordable option.
We live far from our family members and do not have any close friends who we would feel comfortable asking to babysit. We both have jobs that we enjoy, that pay well and have good benefits and we're not interested in switching companies but DH is trying to get another position which wouldn't be out of town.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd honestly say one of you needs to find a new job unless you can work it to be a SAHM or him be a SAHD. This is really a situation you're going to have to look at and analyze between you two IMO.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Look into getting a live in nanny if you think that would work! I personally have HUGE trust issues, I dont trust many people with my kids so I wouldnt be able to do that unless I had to! Why dont you look into being an at home mother or seeing if you could possibly change your work schedule... Because of my huge trust issue, I work weekend graveyard shift and my hubby works during the week in the days... I usually dont get much sleep during the school year cause I have one child in and one child not... but my children are much happier with me being home during the week and not having to go to a sitter! Plus when i did have a sitter I got sad cause the sitter got to see my childs first with everything... first roll over... first step... first word... I just felt left out and wanted to be a bigger part of my childs life! If you can change jobs or shifts I would totally do it! Good luck!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would definitely try to find a nanny (live in would be ideal, and it HAS to be cheaper than one of you quitting your jobs.) I hired a nanny for my preschooler because I far prefer her being cared for at home. If I ever have another child, I'd like to stay home for the first year and then have a nanny when I go back to work. Good luck!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Can one of you switch to part time? Just one idea......................
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Ummm you didn't think about this until now?

A nanny is really your only option if neither of you will change work schedules. She'd live in and if DH was out of town and you got paged there would be no dragging the child out of bed and finding a sitter....

Fail to plan = Plan to fail...get on it! GL
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 3:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2010