What is the purpose of tanning? Want it make you look like a black person?

I come from a small country town. I know of some of the most racist white people. They are quick to call a black person the "N" word. But they tan.... they tan so darkly that they look biracial...
What is the purpose of tanning?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 2:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• So they can look 100 years old when they're 40 and then die of skin cancer at 50.

I've never understood why people tan when they KNOW it's not good for them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• What about the spray tan...? why look darker?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 2:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Pot meet Kettle.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Even tanning beds can cause skin cancer..... I have no idea.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Because most people don't get enough vitamin D and it's VERY important. That's why I got as much sun as I could all summer, I only use SPF on my face.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• To get cancer.

That's why I wear hats, cover up (even in summer) and use sunblock. ALWAYS.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:07 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• racial comments and skin-cancer remarks aside, its long been the notion that a fair amount of 'sun' on the skin denotes a healthy, vivacious life, active, not sickly or unexercised. its a perception that we've had for a very long time. a bit of tan, and people think you are getting out and enjoying life. no tan, and people wonder what illness you've had. perception, that's all. plus, the beauty/movie industry has long portrayed a tanned body as sexy and healthy...we know the dangers of too much exposure, and we know there's possibility of skin cancers, yet that hasn't changed the perception.
    just because people tan beyond belief doesn't mean they want to be 'black'. that's a bit of reverse-racism, isn't it? i mean, there's no way to counter that, without sounding racist.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Oh dear lord! No, it won't make you look like a black person. It will make you look like a leather couch though if you tan years on end. Kinda defeats the purpose of trying to look sexy!
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 10:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010