do you still get a period if you get your tubes tied?

if you get your tubes tied do you still get a period and if you get a period doesn't it mean that you can still get pregnant since it's releasing an egg? ! Just wondering.

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 3:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• Good question.....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:16 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You still get your period after you have your tubes tied.
    A tubal Ligation is when your fallopian tubes are either "tied" or cut and separated. When your ovaries release an egg it cannot get to your uterus through your tubes any more.
    You will still have all the hormones needed to have a menstrual cycle because you still have your ovaries. You will get your period and you will ovulate but the egg will be unable to travel through the tubes to enter the uterus to await fertilization. The eggs will die in about 36 - 48 hours and dissolve.

Hope that answers your question. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• But I thought a period was an unfertilized egg........?!!???!
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 3:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Your period - what actually comes out - is blood and tissue that builds up in the uterus in preparation for a fertilised egg. If the egg is not fertilised then your uterus sheds the lining and starts over preparing itself. So your uterus will go on building up the lining and shedding it because that's all controlled by your hormones. With a tubal all that happens is the tubes are blocked (whether by being cut or having clips put on them) so the egg is still released, but it can't travel down the tube and meet the sperm.

So yes, you will continue to have a period.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• AND...there is that chance that you can still get pregnant! A tubal is the same as the pill. 99.9 % chance it works.

A friend of mine had a tubal done after her 3rd child....... and within 3 yrs she got pregnant! Had to be closely monitored cause you risk death....not only to yourself, but your unborn child and the rare case, mother AND child can die.

Her egg was OK and grew properly, her daughter is now 3, her oldest is 10.....but some times eggs do not get inside far enough.....which causes a major risk.

If you have a tubal done.....still use protection. I did and still do as Id hate to have a tubal pregnancy!

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The previous posters have it correct-- you can still have a period, and there is still a chance of pregnancy ( although it is a slim chance). If you are thinking of having one, I suggest you talk to your ob/gyn ask questions and find out all the facts (pros, cons).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• What Lily said, that is why I went with Essure. First and only sterilization technique to have ZERO pregnancies in clinical trials.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:24 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yes my cousin does
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 9:01 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• thanks ladies!! Omgosh! I feel so dumb, I swear I took sex ed....I was just curious but it makes sense.
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes you still get a period because as the other moms said your body is shedding the uterine lining. The egg is just broken down and absorbed by your body but the uterine lining is still shed.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010